Yosemite Virtual Public Meeting - January 17: Visitor Access Management Plan

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Virtual Public Meeting - January 17: Visitor Access Management Plan

Post by rlown »

In December, Yosemite National Park launched the first phase of the Visitor Access Management Plan. Yosemite’s primary and daily focus is ensuring world-class experiences, a welcoming environment for all visitors, and protection of nationally significant resources. Like many parks across the system, providing for and managing use at Yosemite is increasingly complex due to growth in day-use visitation and changing use patterns. The purpose of this plan is to evaluate how different management strategies, including reservation systems, could help meet long-term resource and visitor experience goals.

Join the virtual public meeting on January 17, 2023 from 4:00pm to 5:30 p.m. Park staff will share information, answer questions, and provide further information about the planning process. Registration is not required.

Follow this link to join the meeting on January 17: CLICK HERE

The meeting will be recorded.

The initial comment period for the Visitor Access Management Plan is open now and will close on February 3, 2023. We want to hear from you.

Learn more about this plan and submit your comments: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/YosemiteVisitorAccess

For more details on the public planning meetings: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/MeetingNot ... tID=113113

Thank you.

Environmental Compliance Branch | Strategic Planning & Project Management

Yosemite National Park (YOSE)

https://parkplanning@nps.gov
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Yosemite Virtual Public Meeting - January 17: Visitor Access Management Plan

Post by Harlen »

Russ, I've tried 5 times to access this site below to make my comments, but I keep getting "timed out." I tried your link here, and at the YNP website. Still can't get on, but I'll get there yet, or provide comments in a letter. Thanks a lot for providing this link, and the inspiration to contribute. Like many of us here, I am disappointed with the woeful new Recreation.gov system, and agree that it is the government shirking their duty. Ian.
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/YosemiteVisitorAccess
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Yosemite Virtual Public Meeting - January 17: Visitor Access Management Plan

Post by rlown »

Not sure why you can't get in. I tested all the links including your link and they all work, even with Norton VPN enabled. Funny, as HST won't let me in with that VPN enabled.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Russ,
I was finally able to access the Park site where the comments form can be found, by clicking on the same link you provided above. I provided my many comments to each of the 4 points. I read a lot more about the process, and learned that the comments made during the Virtual Public Meeting will not be written down to be considered. If we want our comments to be entered for consideration, we must provide them as written answers on the park planning form, to be submitted online or by mail by Feb 3, 2023. The questions that are asked are the following:

Questions to consider when submitting comments:

What experiences in Yosemite are most important to you?
What have been the best parts of your experiences in Yosemite? What have been the worst parts?
What management practices or strategies has the park used to effectively address crowding and congestion?
What barriers get in the way of enjoying or visiting Yosemite?
Submit written comments online through February 3, 2023.

Thanks again to Russ for bringing this to our attention. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.