TR 2005 LeConte Route, North Palisade

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR 2005 LeConte Route, North Palisade

Post by Gogd »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am The pack that walked like a woman O_O
@ c9h13no3
Ok, I'll bite, what does that mean?
-----------------
The east and west sides of the Palisades is my favorite part of the Sierra. The Sierra Crest so majestic in that vicinity. The west side is fairly a remote technical climbing destination, yet relatively easy to access. Several of the peaks have class 4 routes, so one doesn't need to haul bunch of gear if all they are after is a good vista. I like traveling that area in the snow season. When the snow is in condition, it is easier to travel on skis or crampons, than over bare rock in the summer. I used to have it all to myself, but nowadays it isn't unusual to come across three or more parties on a week long trip. I chalk this up to ski technology, making it easier for folks to travel on skis, resulting in a higher volume of winter travelers to the area, relative to the number of folks who skied there before the advent of tech bindings.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Gogd wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:46 am
c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am The pack that walked like a woman O_O
@ c9h13no3
Ok, I'll bite, what does that mean?
Maybe that reference was too obscure. Norman Clyde was known for his small stature and very large packs. He was jokingly referred to as a pack that walks like a man.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

C9 wrote:
Maybe that reference was too obscure. Norman Clyde was known for his small stature and very large packs.
One of the amazing aspect of Clyde's pack were the contents:

-Cast iron frying pans
-Hatchet, pistol...
-Hardback books, often classical lit. in the original Greek
-A small anvil for repairing hob-nailed boots...

They don't make backpackers like Clyde anymore- the antithesis of the ultra-light.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Wandering Daisy,

This fine TR is greatly appreciated. Superb terrain and a solid team makes for a great trip!

Going over Thunderbolt Pass and heading toward Potluck Pass with the goal to get to the base of the SW Chutes of Sill, I prefer not to cross Potluck Pass. For me a more direct, faster, and easier route is revealed by the photo "the sloping shoulder of Peak 13962 per guidebook." I still do not find in the guidebooks the following route I have used: As one nears Potluck Pass, hang a left and ascend the sloping shoulder of Peak 13962. Top out and descend to a massive, sandy, flat area which could accommodate a soccer field. On reaching the flat area, angle left and walk a bit to the bottom of the Polemonium Glacier. Look right and pick one of the SW Chutes to start the ascent of Sill. This route over the shoulder of 13962 is class 2.

In a certain sense, one might consider Clyde's pack ultralight (living). In the summer Clyde LIVED in the High Sierras. His pack represented his house. I might carry a 20 pound pack on a 5 day hike in the Sierras, but then return to my 2500 sq ft house for a week (enjoying a beer, my favorite takeout food, hot tub, soft bed,...)

BTW, the 50th anniversary of Norman's death is next week.

Question for WD: A fair amount of snow is seen in the photos. On the ascent of North Pal, what was the condition (of the surface) of the Catwalk (encountered soon after leaving the big gully that heads toward the U Notch)?

Jim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The cat-walk was dry. The only snow on the route, once up on the peak, was snow below the chockstone. The cat-walk faces south, if I recall correctly, and the rock is dark, so I imagine the snow melts off fairly early in the summer. The "ramp" was described in some guidebook I have, but I do not remember if Secor's or the "Climbing California's Fourteeners".

Harlen- I never leave anything out for Marmots to chew when I am not in camp. So far, they have not tried to get inside the tent. I do worry that some animal may decide to tear the tent apart. Maybe you know- why would a deer or bear not tear up someone's tent (barring food in the tent)? Marmots seem to be simply going for salt. I have noticed that everywhere someone pees, Marmots dig up the spot.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am C9 wrote:
Maybe that reference was too obscure. Norman Clyde was known for his small stature and very large packs.
One of the amazing aspect of Clyde's pack were the contents:

-Cast iron frying pans
-Hatchet, pistol...
-Hardback books, often classical lit. in the original Greek
-A small anvil for repairing hob-nailed boots...

They don't backpackers like Clyde anymore- the antithesis of the ultra-light.
Clyde didn't like being away from the health club weight room, so he packed it with him. But he was practical in an off handed way. The books doubled as TP. And I bet he cut the handles off his pans, and that he was outfitted by Abercrombie with one of those fangled UL Swiss Army hachet-pistols. As for boots, well he was one of those slow to adapt to technology. :wink:
I like soloing with friends.