TR: Kaweah Basin Loop via Mineral King (August 11-16, 2022)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alido2boord
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Kaweah Basin Loop via Mineral King (August 11-16, 2022)

Post by alido2boord »

I've always wanted to see Kaweah Basin due to its remoteness, so I'm glad I finally made it happen this year! We approached Kaweah Basin by going over Pyra-Queen Col. This was my first time visiting Mineral King area, too. The drive into Mineral King took quite some time, but it was well worth the beauty. Trip report and pictures are down below.

General Route Info
GPS Tracking
Day 1 - Mineral King to Pinto Lake: 9.1 miles, +3440' / -2530'
Day 2 - Pinto Lake to Nine Lake Basin: 12 miles, +4300' / -2560'
Day 3 - Nine Lake Basin to Kaweah Basin: 6.6 miles, +2480' / -2050'
Day 4 - Kaweah Basin to Kern Hot Spring: 14.9 miles, +750' / -4720'
Day 5 - Kern Hot Spring to Franklin Lakes: 18.6 miles, +5780' / -2030'
Day 6 - Franklin Lakes to Mineral King: 6.4 miles, +100' / -2950'

Video

Trip Report
Day 1:
We hiked from the trailhead in Mineral King up via Timber Gap and camped at Pinto Lake area. Pretty normal first day of hiking with 5.5 days worth of food in the pack. :p

Day 2:
Went over Black Rock Pass, headed down to Big Arroyo and followed north via the High Sierra Trail and camped at the lower part of Nine Lake Basin. Black Rock Pass was a little tiring with all the food and gear, but not too challenging... when looking back at the rest of the trip.

Day 3:
We left lower Nine Lake Basin for Kaweah Basin via Pyra-Queen Col. Pyra-Queen Col was a beast. Going up via the west side took some time because the terrain was quite rugged, but manageable. I enjoyed the challenge, but you may notice in my video that one of my friends did not enjoy it as much. :) As we were coming down the couloir, we came across a group of older gentlemen from Colorado who were approaching the couloir from the east side. I remember thinking how it was already the afternoon, and they still have some ways to go on tough terrain. Very inspiring to see them out there in one of the most remote areas in the Sierra Nevada. I hope that I too can keep fit enough to go deep into the mountains as I approach the latter part of my life.

Day 4:
Navigated our way to the neighboring basin that is north of Kaweah Basin to reach Colby Pass Trail. Colby Pass Trail seemed to be pretty unmaintained, but I'm not surprised because it doesn't seem like many people take this trail. We finally met up with the High Sierra Trail in Kern Canyon and hiked south to Kern Hot Spring. I visited the hot spring when I hiked the HST in 2016, so it was nice to see it again (along with Big Arroyo on Day 2). Biggest difference now is that the surrounding areas experienced some wildfire back in 2020. Thankfully, the actual camping area did not get burned much.

Day 5:
We wanted to shorten our final day, Day 6, by going farther than originally planned, which was to originally camp at Forester Lake. Thankfully, we did not follow through and went for the big push to get over Franklin Pass and camp at Franklin Lakes. That was a massive day of elevation gain since we started at the bottom of Kern Canyon. That was over a mile of elevation gain!! I felt like every step was a slog at the last mile before the pass.

Day 6:
Final day! Short few miles out to the trailhead in Mineral King, and we're done! Nothing of significance to note except that we came across friendly trail workers and their train of mules.

Pictures
20220811-20220811-IMG_3024.jpg
Sunset near Pinto Lake

20220812-20220812-IMG_3048.jpg
Figuring out which way to go as we leave Pinto Lake

20220812-20220812-IMG_3200.jpg
Lower Nine Lake Basin at t he northern end of Big Arroyo

20220813-20220813-IMG_3386.jpg
Approaching Pyra-Queen Col from the western side

20220813-20220813-IMG_3444.jpg
Looking back towards Nine Lake Basin from halfway up Pyra-Queen Col

20220813-20220813-IMG_3448.jpg
Closing in on Pyra-Queen Col

20220813-20220813-IMG_3462.jpg
Looking down at Kaweah Basin from Pyra-Queen Col

20220813-20220813-IMG_3491.jpg
Upper lake of Kaweah Basin

20220813-20220813-IMG_3534.jpg
Looking for camp at Kaweah Basin

20220813-20220813-IMG_3611.jpg
Nice little area for camping in Kaweah Basin

20220815-20220815-IMG_3938.jpg
Looking south down Kern Canyon while hiking up Rattlesnake Trail towards Franklin Pass

20220815-20220815-IMG_3952.jpg
Looking back down Rattlesnake Trail near the top of Franklin Pass with Kern Canyon in the background
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kaweah Basin Loop via Mineral King (August 11-16, 2022)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Pretty strenuous trip! How was the Rattlesnake Trail? I have considered it in the past, but I doubt it is used much. I have never been over Blackrock Pass. How was that?

Was going in from Mineral King your first choice of trailheads, or was it forced on you due to permit availability? And yes, it is long slow road to get to Mineral King. Do you have more photos you can show? I have not looked at the video yet. Maybe that will answer my questions.

Thanks for the trip report.
alido2boord
Topix Acquainted

Post by alido2boord »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:17 pm Pretty strenuous trip! How was the Rattlesnake Trail? I have considered it in the past, but I doubt it is used much. I have never been over Blackrock Pass. How was that?

Was going in from Mineral King your first choice of trailheads, or was it forced on you due to permit availability? And yes, it is long slow road to get to Mineral King. Do you have more photos you can show? I have not looked at the video yet. Maybe that will answer my questions.

Thanks for the trip report.
Rattlesnake Trail was good in regards to how well it was maintained. In fact, there were trail workers in the area when we were hiking up. The hard part about the trail is that it is a lot of gain from the bottom of Kern Canyon to top of Franklin Pass. It's a pretty area though!

Blackrock Pass is a little tough, but it isn't too bad if you keep at a sustainable pace.

I chose Mineral King as the trailhead because it was an area I've never been despite going to Sequoia many times. I didn't take photos of the road to Mineral King, but unless you mean of the trip in general, then yes. I've attached a few more below. :)

20220813-20220813-IMG_3326.jpg
Navigating through an adventurous area from lower Nine Lake Basin.

20220813-20220813-IMG_3375.jpg
One of the middle lakes of Nine Lake Basin.

20220813-20220813-IMG_3421.jpg
Some more route pics of the western side of Pyra-Queen Col.

20220813-20220813-IMG_3641.jpg
Enjoying camp in Kaweah Basin.

20220814-20220814-IMG_3788.jpg
One of the little lakes along Picket Creek.

20220814-20220814-IMG_3858.jpg
Burnt forest of near Kern Hot Spring.

20220815-20220815-IMG_3949.jpg
Looking up towards Franklin Pass from the eastern side.

20220815-20220815-IMG_4025.jpg
Franklin Lake(s).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the extra photos.

Oh, I forgot about the fire down the Kern River. How much burn was there from the Hot Springs down to Rattlesnake Trail? The one photo you show is very sad.

By strenuous, I meant the long mileage days in addition to Pyra Queen Pass and then getting down out of Keweah Basin. I have been there twice, once coming out Pyra Queen. There were hard icy snow stringers on the west side that made it hard and a wind on the east side that literally knocked me down. I was surprised by your photo showing no snow in mid-August. I bet that one long day down the Kern and up Rattlesnake Trail was really hard and I would think horribly hot too in mid-August. The elevation gain on your longest day is similar to the harder east side passes such as Taboose or Shepherd Pass. You guys are tough!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Really great route, and some nice long days. Congratulations on such a fine trip.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
alido2boord
Topix Acquainted

Post by alido2boord »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 pm Thanks for the extra photos.

Oh, I forgot about the fire down the Kern River. How much burn was there from the Hot Springs down to Rattlesnake Trail? The one photo you show is very sad.

By strenuous, I meant the long mileage days in addition to Pyra Queen Pass and then getting down out of Keweah Basin. I have been there twice, once coming out Pyra Queen. There were hard icy snow stringers on the west side that made it hard and a wind on the east side that literally knocked me down. I was surprised by your photo showing no snow in mid-August. I bet that one long day down the Kern and up Rattlesnake Trail was really hard and I would think horribly hot too in mid-August. The elevation gain on your longest day is similar to the harder east side passes such as Taboose or Shepherd Pass. You guys are tough!
The burn was not as severe along the rest of the trail compared to the area close to Kern Hot Spring from what I noticed.

Yeah, I was surprised with how little snow there was. Too many years of consecutive dry seasons. :(

Fascinating moment about our trip is that one of my friend's pee was pink the morning after that long day up Rattlesnake Trail. I presume it was from rhabdomyolysis, although he was the fastest in our group.

Harlen wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:38 pm Really great route, and some nice long days. Congratulations on such a fine trip.
Thank you, Harlen! This is what I love about the Sierra Nevada; the wonderful challenges among its beauty that it provides us.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Thanks for posting! Great to have a new trip and area to read about.
I second Daisy. You guys are tough (and young I presume) as that looks like a helluva lot of mileage and elevation gain for very few days overall. Now to watch the video for more.

Best ~ Michaelzim
alido2boord
Topix Acquainted

Post by alido2boord »

michaelzim wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:30 am Thanks for posting! Great to have a new trip and area to read about.
I second Daisy. You guys are tough (and young I presume) as that looks like a helluva lot of mileage and elevation gain for very few days overall. Now to watch the video for more.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Thank you. I enjoy this type of challenge once a year. Haha.

We are in our mid-30s. I feel that my fitness level has been slowly declining each year, but it may partly because my lifestyle has become more sedentary... Need to stay in shape!
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

great report!

how did you descend kaweah basin to the kern-kaweah? via the outlet stream or farther west in the vicinity of picket creek and the 'tree escalator'?

:)
alido2boord
Topix Acquainted

Post by alido2boord »

frozenintime wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:15 pm great report!

how did you descend kaweah basin to the kern-kaweah? via the outlet stream or farther west in the vicinity of picket creek and the 'tree escalator'?

:)
Hah. I like the tree escalator description. That sounds about right. We went north to Picket Creek, followed it until the last lake, and then went more north to meet up with Kern-Kaweah River. You can see my GPS tracking here for precise route that we took: https://caltopo.com/m/E1VJV