Out Of The Past, film noir filming locations

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Out Of The Past, film noir filming locations

Post by CAMERONM »

I run a film series and we just watched the 1947 film noir Out Of The Past with Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglass, Jane Greer and Rhonda Fleming. Several scenes made me sit up to notice places I have seen and visited. The list of locations include: Lake Tahoe; Silver Lake, June Lake Loop; Sierra Nevada Mountains; Bridgeport; Reno; Lower Twin lake; Lake Sherwood; and the curious "East side of Sonora Pass, (waterfall and stream shot). I include a few screen grabs and encourage anyone even vaguely interested in film noir to check it out. In particular, has anyone visited this stream area? It looks like a movie set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Re: Out Of The Past, film noir filming locations

Post by CAMERONM »

More screengrabs:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 6.31.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 6.32.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 6.32.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 6.33.05 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Here is a youtube that covers a lot of Bridgeport historical stuff, a bit tedious, but..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQOpvz37x0
And of course a Google of the building we all know:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 6.47.11 AM copy.jpg
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Really cool, thanks for posting the pictures.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Thanks for sharing, woww look at little Bridgeport! Adding this one to recent watch list. Love seeing the eastern sierra on the movie screen. Blackout and I started watching all the old westerns that were filmed in the Alabama Hills. The lone pine film festival puts out a nice little event. They put out little stand of stills and a scenes of different films throughout town. So many interesting films to see. Thanks for sharing this one.