TR: Wind Rivers 2022 Trip 2

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Wind Rivers 2022 Trip 2

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful pictures and great report. Thanks for sharing.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

The scenery looks like it can easily carry your trips, as your fishing difficulties continue. Since I have jumped ahead to your last trip, I know things come around. The photography on this second trip sure is excellent. We especially admire the pictures from Pyramid, Mt Geikie/East Fork; and the Tolar Lake cirque from south edge.
You wrote:
While at the Bears Ears-Hailey Pass trail junction, a couple came up the trail from Grave Lake. After a bit of conversation I mentioned that I had worked for NOLS in the 1970’s. The gal just looked at me and asked my name. She was flabbergasted when we realized she was on a course I lead in 1972! I honestly did not remember her. She was a 17-year old, never had been outdoors and said that course changed her life. We parted, each having to get to our destinations before the afternoon storms.
That meeting should be a heart-warming experience. We are certain that you had that kind of positive effect on many of your clients Nancy, and you must be proud of that legacy. On to trip number 3. Thanks for putting these great trip repots together for us.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

That meeting should be a heart-warming experience. We are certain that you had that kind of positive effect on many of your clients Nancy, and you must be proud of that legacy. On to trip number 3. Thanks for putting these great trip reports together for us.
Harlan perfectly describes my reactions. I'll probably never get to the Wind Rivers so your reports are my vicarious journey, following someone who knows the area better than anyone.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I wrote:
...On to trip number 3. Thanks for putting these great trip repots together for us.
but I don't find it, unless trip #4 also includes trip 3? We've sure enjoyed following along so far.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Trip 3 is now three reports down. Not sure why you could not find it before. It was last commented on sept 8.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for these reports, WD! The scenery is striking--very different from the Sierra and the Sawtooths, which are nearer. You mention less elevation gain--that is enticing too for me as I age. Some summer soon, I should take a long trip through Idaho to revisit my old haunts and Wyoming to sample this unique area.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Takes me right back to my 2019 trip out of Big Sandy - which of course I planned with your book, WD. A special place.