TR: Miter Basin, Discovery Pinnacle, & Mount Whitney: July 4-6, 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Miter Basin, Discovery Pinnacle, & Mount Whitney: July 4-6, 2021

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Beautiful and impressive. I've been thinking about including Miter Basin as part of a 2-week hike in August 2022, assuming I can get the time to do it. Thanks for the restoration work that you did. Sometimes I just don't understand people, actually a lot of the time.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

Nice report! You three are savages! Those are some long trail days!!
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jrad »

Thanks for the trip report. Valuable info. I did note, however, one mis-identified photo : "Cottonwood Lakes" is definitely "Chicken Spring Lake". I have a nearly identical photo of Chicken Spring Lake and your photo is that. I have been to the area a fair bit and immediately knew your label was wrong. Actually, in going over Cottonwood Pass as you did, you would not have seen ANY of the Cottonwood Lakes without using a drone!

Otherwise, lots of great photos. I love that area and appreciated your reporting beyond what I've seen before (like going from Crabtree Pass to Whitney).
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Heck of a trip and amazing to do that in three days. I get out of breath just thinking about that. It makes me think of my dad and how he was reluctant to take days off, so he'd fit ambitious trips into 2 or 3 day formats.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks @jrad -- this is what happens when I write trip reports late at night, LOL.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Miter and Crabtree basins are definitely among my favorite in the sierra. The balance of scenery, fun, difficulty, and ease of access are about as good as it gets