Tablelands (Pear) Lake trail walk-thru permits?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tablelands (Pear) Lake trail walk-thru permits?

Post by thegib »

Hi all,

On recreation.gov it appears they aren't reservable in advance. How does it work now? I can't get anyone to answer the phone from SEKI. Do you just queue up for the 7 am opening?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tablelands (Pear) Lake trail walk-thru permits?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Got in line early AM last year. Check website to see where you need to be. Lodgepole RS was closed last year due to construction so had to go to Giant Forest Museum. The table was outside. They also gave out cancelled permits. I got a Pear Lake permit just in case I needed it but easily did the pass-through.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Thanks for the response WD. Do they issue permits first thing when they open at 7am, or do they make you wait till 10am? Is there some reason they're not reservable?
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I just got a call back from SEKI which provides some clarity. For any given day you may/must pick up your permit, at Giant Forest, the day before your entry from 1-4 pm, or 7-9am the day of. My next question is whether some permits are reserved for day of, or whether there's any way to find out if the coming day is entirely booked. Starting a day later than expected isn't impossible but can squeeze my loops pretty tight.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

This past weekend, 15 of the permits for the lakes trail were taken the day before for the day of- but that was memorial day. The lakes trial pass-through is a seperate 25 slot permit. I would be floored to find that ever totally booked up.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

this is not the most important detail in the world, but i'm curious if anyone can confirm the 25 walk-ups for the lakes trail pass through? i can't find a single mention of that particular permit's quota on nps websites!
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Frozenintime... You have to click on the actual Trailhead in Rec.Gov to get a new page/pop-up that gives the details. As the permits season has now ended for SEKI that option is not available until next year. However, this below is my cut and paste from that I believe (maybe a bit of editing on my part - from a Word doc. I made):

Lakes Trail Pass Through
Provides entry into the wilderness via the Lakes Trail and cross-country travel. No camping at Pear and Emerald Lakes is allowed under this entry point. Provides access via cross-country travel to Moose Lake and the Tablelands. Accessing allowed camping areas requires cross country travel from Pear Lake. Moderately strenuous. Watchtower Trail not recommended when snowy, wet, or icy conditions exist. Forests and glacier carved subalpine lake basins. High visitation in areas accessed by trails.
Permits issued at [Lodgepole?] Visitor Center / Parking at Wolverton.
25 person daily quota; 0 reservable…All “W” permits!

Best ~ M.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

thanks michael!

wow 25 walk ups a day to access the tablelands (and beyond) in 7ish miles is pretty amazing. as mentioned above, it's hard to imagine this quota ever filling up.

duly noted!
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Multiple holiday weekends this summer and never seen a single person requesting to go for the pass-through permit. Don't sweat it.