Darwin Lakes boulder avoidance?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Darwin Lakes boulder avoidance?

Post by druid »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 pm Obviously the easiest way to avoid boulders is to walk through the lake.
But only if you have the ability to walk right on the surface, like Peter Sellers.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by scottmiller »

Thanks for the advice. Walking through the water is actually sometimes an option. I avoided a cliff-like route once by wading around it.
It looks like there are camp sites at lake #4, so if we're pooped out after coming over the pass we can tackle the rest of it the next day.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

We just got back from a trip from South Lake to North Lake by cutting across Lamarck Col 2 weeks ago so I think I can provide some insight. it's true what most have said. If you stick close to the lakes thats thats all in all the best and fastest way to navigate around Darwin Canyon. The big boulder issue did occur to us around lake #3 where the water levels were too deep to walk across. In fact, I took a picture and a video because I saw a guy sitting on a boulder after a swim just on the other side.

Your best bet is to just climb the boulders and find a path through it. Just be careful. Those boulders were mountaintops at some point. Some were pretty shaky from what I recall. There were a group of 5 trail runners who effortless were hopping those boulders but it's much more difficult with a 30lb pack.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFu8ybtXjkXTtrsh8
kuhio
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kuhio »

There were a few boulders to navigate. We had no problem even with packs loaded for 10 nights of luxury camping. I think maybe at one location by buddy with bad knees handed down his pack to me. A few photos from a trip over Larmarck a couple of years ago:

ImageHigh Sierra 2019-77 by Brian Hetke, on Flickr

ImageHigh Sierra 2019-78 by Brian Hetke, on Flickr

ImageHigh Sierra 2019-29 by Brian Hetke, on Flickr

Bonus McGee Lakes Basin Pic:

ImageHigh Sierra 2019-14 by Brian Hetke, on Flickr
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

To answer my own question, having just returned from Darwin Lakes, there is no secret sauce route, as far as I could tell. I followed the anglers trail next to the shore that led me into the land of huge boulders at the western end of lake 4. My hiking buddy climbed and picked his way through, but I don't like big boulders, so I went up a ways where the boulders were smaller and made a level traverse across them. The boulders are still tricky; this isn't a case where you can walk across, but for me it was a lot easier and less annoying than by the shore. So, unless you don't mind navigating car-sized boulders, go up and then across. The rest of the boulder crossings along the lakes are easy.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looking forward to your trip report!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

through the lake? I prefer to walk on the lake