TR: Gardiner Basin, 7/26-8/2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Gardiner Basin, 7/26-8/2

Post by druid »

We had a full array of bear cans, but some of the other parties there evidently did not, as they kept wandering by and asking where the bear box was. We actually saw another bear this trip on the other side of the lowest Kearsarge Lake, but that one was minding its own business, tearing apart pine cones and digging up roots. Most trips we don't see any.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

My thanks too for yet another rich 'vicarious' report. We were somewhat close in proximity there at times and encountered the same little "wee bit of wetness" events! I talked to a number of PCT folks who had scrapped coming over Kearsarge during the height of the storminess due to "Dragons teeth of lightning and Thor beatings of the heavenly hammers"...which I can relate to. As mentioned, the biggest rain dumps appear to have been randomly localized but you go your fair share I bet.
Gardiner Basin has also been on my up there "To visit" list for some time (aborted it in Sept. 2021 due to 15 hours of nonstop rain - then the massive Kings Canyon fire that storm started) so appreciate your report and lovely pics.
P.S. That bear around Charlotte Lake is getting quite a reputation. Good mug shot of the blighter!

Thanks again for the TR ~ Michaelzim
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hey Druid, great TR, with your usual stellar photos. That very first one is magnificent! The flowers in question are flower Monkshood , Aconitum columbianum, and they are favorites of ours too. Thanks for a view into a remote spot we'd like to see again.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Nice trip. I did your loop decades ago; I hope you were as impressed as we were. The sunset pic of lake at 10600 perfectly captures that magic moment Sierra hikers live for.

While the ranger's observations are probably correct, I am surprised they would post advice that folks who are inclined to scare off the bears should consider charging at them them, given the liability issues of such advice, particularly if the encounter was a sow with cubs.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like soloing with friends.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

Harlen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:10 pm your usual stellar photos. That very first one is magnificent!
I'd like to claim credit, but my daughter took that one. It's one of my favorites, too.
Gogd wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:34 pm I am surprised they would post advise that folks who are inclined to scare off the bears should consider charging at them them, given the liability issues of such advice, particularly if the encounter was a sow with cubs.
I suspect the ranger was getting tired of being serenaded by all of the ineffective hand clapping and pot banging. The bear we saw didn't have cubs, not to say that there weren't others in the area that did have them.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey druid and Gogd, et al.,

re this ranger's advice:
While the ranger's observations are probably correct, I am surprised they would post advice that folks who are inclined to scare off the bears should consider charging at them them, given the liability issues of such advice, particularly if the encounter was a sow with cubs.
I was reminded of similar advice given to me (also a diver) on what's now thought best to do when circled by a Great white shark. Since they are stealth predators, who like to sneak up on the unaware, my dive master buddy says to "Swim right at them!" Perhaps easier said that done, but it does have a seeming logic to it-- let the shark know that you're onto them. I'll refer this theory to our own resident dive master Jimr-- what do you think Jim?

p.s. Sorry druid, for this odd segue into sharks.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Thanks for the TR.
How lucky taht yo I got to see the bear and the pika!!
Looks like it was a gorgeous trip!
Aura