Some SEKI offtrail questions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Some SEKI offtrail questions

Post by CAMERONM »

I am looking for information, considering a big loop for possibly early September: Copper Creek Trail> Volcanic Lakes>State lakes>Gray pass>descent to Cartridge Creek>ascent to Cataract Creek Pass>Upper Basin Crossing>Split Mountain>JMT south>offtrail North entrance to Sixty lake Basin>Gardiner lakes>Gardiner Pass>offtrail east and south of Charlotte Dome>Bubbs Creek out.
I am specifically curious if anyone has any information about two areas: the descent to Cartridge Creek and ascent to Cataract Creek pass; and the descent from Gardiner Pass alongside and south of Charlotte Dome. I attach an overall map, and details of the two areas. Both look difficult, or even.... possible? Thanks-
overall.jpg
catarct best.jpg
Charlotte.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Some SEKI offtrail questions

Post by TurboHike »

I recall reading a trip report awhile back by Stanley Otter who did the Gardiner Pass to Bubbs Creek section. See his Day 3 description here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20370&p=153523&hili ... ek#p153523

I hope this helps. Good luck!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks for the reference TurboHike. It mostly confirms what I am suspecting, that it may not be worth the straight-down approach from Gardiner around Charlotte Dome. Indeed, I am already investigating what Stanley mentions, to swing East to Charlotte lake and then bend around onto the Bubbs Creek highway. Less interesting, a well-worn and too-often visited trail, but after many days of challenging off-trail, it may be a welcome respite.
I am still looking at the other problematic area, but perhaps doing Grey Pass>White Pass>Red Pass>Dumbell Pass>Cataract Creek pass might be more prudent. It also saves me from dropping below 10,000'.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I don't remember Gardiner pass down to Bubb's Creek being that bad, just kinda steep at the end if your pack is really heavy. The upper part is simple forest walking and once you get past Charlotte Dome there's a pretty well worn climber's trail.

Don't have any info for your other questions, sorry
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks limpingcrab.
Part of my calculation here is that I will likely take my son who has never forgiven me for dragging him over Vennacher Col-
But I suppose that brush hell is different than looking down over a pass and having no clear idea of how to make it down.