Backpacking with a Chemo port?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backpacking with a Chemo port?

Post by David_Caruso »

So this is somewhat serious post.

I got a type of lymphoma, it's going to be fine. I'm 44 and we caught it super early and it's been DNA mapped and analyzed like crazy at the lab...the whole deal at Kaiser...PET scans...etc...etc...It's curable and cells are indolent and I should be cancer free by Jan/Feb 2023...I started Chemo/Immunotherapy this week and had to have a port installed last week. I'm really getting a lot of rituximab (for those of you that know) and I feel just fine.

Anyone here backpack with a port? Or have buddies that have done it? Since we caught this so early, I feel fine and healthy, just did 52-miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth Lakes 2 weeks ago. I'd like to do another couple weekend 2 nighters this season. But the chemo port hurt pretty good for the 1st week. But I'm wondering if after a month or so that I could have some light pressure from a 2 night trip worth of gear? Like could some light pressure be fine? It's definitely right in the path of my right shoulder strap below my collarbone by couple inches.

The Dr during a video call just gave me a blank look and told me to wait and see how I feel. Hah.

Or...maybe my season is over...and I'm relegated to day hikes. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking with a Chemo port?

Post by rlown »

The port doesn't stick out very far. My mom had one in the same spot but at 82 she wasn't hiking let alone walking. Maybe you can build up a "doughnut" cushion to put over it so the shoulder strap isn't in contact with the port? If you do that and it rubs, maybe take some alcohol wipes and new bandages to keep it clean.
Also, see if any of the side effects of rituximab might interfere with your trip. Drugs do strange things at altitude and in bright sunlight.

Hoping the best for you.