Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ykill5
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Post by ykill5 »

TurboHike wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:32 am Keep at it, it will get better with time. It's great that you're taking your kid out in nature at such a young age! I was in Evolution Basin last week and I was leapfrogging a family of four; a mom and dad with two kids. The boy was probably 7 years old and the girl was probably 5. Mom and dad carried all the gear. When the girl got tired, she rode on dad's shoulders. The kids were having a blast exploring the lake outlets in the basin. I stopped early for the day at Evolution Lake and they continued to Evolution Valley. I was in search of solitude and I did not want to be camping near them.
Met a couple with their one year old in New Zealand who were tramping for 30 days using washable diapers and weekly supply pickups when the trail intersected a road. Not my idea of fun, but I salute their commitment :eek:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Baby doesn't like backpack carrier. Suggestions?

Post by oldranger »

Don't know what to say. Both daughters did extended trips before a year old and never objected to carriers. By the time my son was born I was a stock ranger and his early backcountry travel was in front of me on a horse. Did have some issues when he was big enough that he had to walk but found that ear phones and story on tape kept him walking. But it was pretty funny as he would literally stagger to a stop when the tape came to an end. So maybe put some head phones on your son with a recorded kids book or songs from your phone to keep him amused! Oh another humerous aspect was getting rid of the disposable diapers. A couple of times a week we would get a big campfire going behind the Roaring River Ranger Station to burn the diapers. We called them Mattmellows!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!