1000 Visitors Stranded In DV NP Due To Flooding 8/5

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

1000 Visitors Stranded In DV NP Due To Flooding 8/5

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 1000 Visitors Stranded In DV NP Due To Flooding 8/5

Post by SSSdave »

Yesterday, Friday, watched that as another humid surge moved over the vast park. Second major monsoon flooding event at Death Valley this week = late winter 2023...SUPERBLOOM...SUPERBLOOM ...SUPERBLOOM 😍
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A Superbloom as good or exceeding the one in 2005 would be worth a photo outing. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I think what amazes me almost as much as the monsoonal flash flooding is that 1,000 people actually decided to visit DV in August.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Death Valley is on the "southwest parks circuit" that many Europeans visit in mid summer. Years ago, one of the guys who played in my work group pickup soccer game announced at one of our games in July that he would be missing the games next week because he was going to Death Valley and other parks with friends who were flying in from France (he himself was French). I said, incredulously, "Why are you going to Death Valley in July! It can be 120 degrees F!" (actually, I think I said 50 degrees C because he was European). His response was that his friends really wanted to see it and this was likely to be their only chance.

Anyway, when I saw him again a few weeks later, I asked about his trip. He said they drove into Death Valley in the evening from Las Vegas and tried to camp (presumably at Furnace Creek). He complained that it was 104 degrees F at midnight and no one could sleep, so they packed up and drove out of the park. Never saw anything.

-Phil
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

I think that the extreme heat is a large part of the attraction. I mean, where's the adventure of visiting one of the hottest places on earth if it isn't even hot? A couple of decades ago some Belgian friends of my wife visited Death Valley as part of their August tour of the Southwest. They were driving a Rent-A-Wreck with no AC. I talked them into at least carrying along a few gallon jugs of water. And they weren't camping so I suppose they were able to cool off a bit each night after being roasted all day long. When they returned, they reported cheerily that a few days after leaving Death Valley their rental had broken down at the Grand Canyon north rim, requiring a 70-mile tow. More adventure!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

@wildhiker @druid
Makes sense. I've long known about European adventures in the U.S. and their lean toward our National parks. Just didn't put it together. If all you have is summer, then that's your window of opportunity.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I wonder how many of those stranded were in RVs. That is not a big deal at all. I have been stuck by road closures with mine. We shrug and wait it out in the RV. Solar panels keep the batteries charged. Already have a fridge full of food . As long as we have fresh water in the tank and propane to cook on, it does not even rise to the level of inconvenience.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

An excellent video of 4WD negotiating Death Valley destroyed roads after flash floods including helping a few stuck Europeans in rental vehicles.

https://digg.com/video/death-valley-road-conditions