Camping availability Bishop Creek area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lisina10
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Camping availability Bishop Creek area

Post by Lisina10 »

I'll be coming down next Sunday to start a backpack trip from North Lake on Monday and would like to camp high to acclimate. It doesn't look like campgrounds in that area take reservations and they look pretty small. Curious if people think I might be able to find a campsite if I arrive late in the day Sunday? I'm open to camping anywhere between North Lake and South Lake. Thanks!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Re: Camping availability Bishop Creek area

Post by LMBSGV »

I camped at North Lake on Wednesday, August 3, arriving at 5:30, and there were two campsites still available. When I hiked out on August 10, after 3:00, there were at least 5 sites available. There were also sites at Sabrina when I hiked out. I suspect there are always sites available at Forks. By the way, Forks, Four Jeffrey, and Bishop Park all take reservations now, so if you want surety about a campsite, you can reserve a site there. I know the Inyo website does not mention Bishop Park as reservable, but it is on Recreation.gov. Being a Sunday, personally, I would just count on North Lake.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Lisina10
Topix Novice

Post by Lisina10 »

Thank you LMBSGV, this is extremely helpful!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I've never been in peak season, but I'd just crash on Buttermilk Rd. Butterbrush campground was also sparsely populated this past June, but seems pricey at $30ish per night.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.