Seeking advice Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin week of 8/8

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
MontañaMar
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Seeking advice Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin week of 8/8

Post by MontañaMar »

Looking for some local/experienced Sierra backpacking knowledge on the weather forecast for next week.

I have a planned trip over Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin for 2 nights (8/8-8/10) but the current weather report shows potential for lightning each day in the 20-40% range at those coordinates.

I have some backpacking experience but never in the Sierra or in bad weather for that matter. My Sierra experience only consists of day hikes over the years in favorable conditions. I’m not terribly worried about rain, but I certainly don’t want to get myself in trouble with lightning at that elevation.

Would cancelling the trip be too conservative? Would going be foolish? Any insight/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Seeking advice Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin week of 8/8

Post by aaron_in_sf »

I cancelled a permit to be out in that general area this week for weather reasons, and reading about the July 31 storm I'm pretty happy to have missed it... going to try again this coming week, but watching the weather develop closely.

At the moment it seems like it should be better, with less risk of severe thunder, but things are so localized and so changeable especially it seems now with more "energy" in the weather systems generally... so keeping a close eye and a plan is definitely a good idea. The Basin is pretty exposed but it's not flat, you could in a pinch get down in lower areas with semi-distant high ones if you had to.

Good primer: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lightning.htm

That PDF from the NWS is pretty good, not loading for me now but it's at http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/res ... htning.pdf

Might be worth carrying along as a reminder. Just in case.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I wouldn't cancel. The rain on Thursday/Friday 8/4-5 was indeed major (I was huddled by Dinosaur Rock), but it turned sunny yesterday. Chances of rain in nearby forecasts are relatively low going forward without any thunderstorm warnings. See for instance Mammoth Lakes 10-day: https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/u ... moth-lakes .
MontañaMar
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by MontañaMar »

Thanks to both of you for the advice! I ultimately decided to cancel my permit for the beginning of this week and was able to secure another for this upcoming weekend where the weather looks much better. Fingers crossed!