big (lower) emigrant lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

big (lower) emigrant lake

Post by d_silva1 »

Anyone been to lower Emigrant Lake that can tell me what water level s like there? Thanks.

Addendum: Two folks said it is too big to get low. Actually, it's not. I've been there when it was so low it was difficult to get water from it. I guess that I might have clarified that. We usually stay near a small peninsula about a third way west, and we've had trouble getting water from that spot. Also, curious water level at the intack location of this lake. thanks.
Last edited by d_silva1 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: lower emigrant lake

Post by kpeter »

I may be ignorant--not sure where lower Emigrant Lake is located. A month ago I went by Emigrant Meadow Lake, Middle Emigrant, and Emigrant lakes. All normal and with water running between them. The big Emigrant Lake does not look to me like it varies much--probably loses a foot or two of evaporation but is such a large lake it would not matter. Its inlet stream was very shallow and easy to ford--that might have dried up by now. But if you mean Emigrant Lake, I think you can rest assured it will have plenty of water.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: lower emigrant lake

Post by texan »

Never seen lower emigrant or Big Emigrant lake in Emigrant wilderness at 8800 ft and 220acres just over from Lunch Meadow low. Been there too many times. Like Kepter said there should be lots of water and plus SKEETERS. Good fishing too, if you fish.

Texan