Pleasant Valley CG Bishop - urban myth...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Pleasant Valley CG Bishop - urban myth...

Post by Iriscaddis »

Hello again, I read from another forum and I followed up by reaching out to another cohort dirtbag that camping gear left at Pleasant Vally CG whilst fishing or hiking through the bluffs get's ripped off? Tents, etc. Now I would not leave stoves, rods, etc. out but still.

Is this just a myth or a ruse to deter people from using the CG? I was really shocked when I read this but then it got me to thinking - mmmmm. Thoughts from anyone?
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Pleasant Valley CG Bishop - urban myth...

Post by John Harper »

There is no way to predict criminal activity. Just secure your gear as best you can and be wary. Don't put at risk anything you can't afford to replace. Common sense is about all the protection you can rely on.

John
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I have left my gear at PVR CG many times without any problems. Like John said it can happen anywhere at any time. Having said that I will admit that all of my trips there were pre-covid and the last two years the class of campers seems to have really changed. Couldn't hurt to make a phone call to the local FS and see how things have been.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

@John Harper, @gary c., I actually spoke with a very nice group of people at Inyo parks and rec. and they said at one time there was more vandalism and activity but currently everything seems fine and they’ve not heard of unfortunate situations. That’s good news.

As for pre-covid vs. post covid, totally agree the riff-raff found its way to the Sierra. I recall MMT rangers very upset over graffiti and trash back then. And yes it’s up to me to not leave Winston rods out overnight ;)

Thank you
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Silky Smooth »

The pit as we like to call it on the eastisde has seen some improvement over the years and also more presence from officials. The bad culture that used to exist there isn't there so much just a few bad apples doing stupid things here and there. It used to be a rowdy trashed place but much better the last 3 years. Use your judgement as always in public spaces and be discrete. The main problem lately is people still trashing the areas, poop and toilet paper. The people problem has been getting worse as people discover the eastern sierra. Not sure why people have such an issue with going to the bathroom in nature. When I ran all the visitor centers here in the eastside, i was disgusted by what people did when the visitor centers were closed. They would pee and poop all over the front of the mono lake visitor center, same with bristlecone. The situation in the Alabama hills has gotten much better since the new plan has gone into effect and people have rules to follow. Buttermilks are better, happy/sad so so. Educate as many people as you can. If you love nature and the eastern sierra help keep it clean and beautiful for all of us to enjoy.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

@Silky Smooth , good comments above and agree on continue to educate others. For the rest of the SCAL riff-raff, stay home and go shopping lol.