TR: North Lake > South Lake Loop - July 18-24, 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: North Lake > South Lake Loop - July 18-24, 2022

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Piute Pass > Desolation Lake > Carol Col (Puppet Pass) > French Canyon > Piute Canyon > MTR > Evolution Valley > Muir Pass > Le Conte Canyon > Dusy Basin > Bishop Pass

As this is a well known route in a well documented area, I will try to keep this brief. General notes:
  • This was all new to me, other than Piute Pass.
  • Bugs were only an issue one night.
  • Just about everywhere felt and looked dry.
  • Too many people on the JMT.
Day 1 - North Lake to Desolation Lake
Trail over Piute Pass is well-maintained and an easy climb in my opinion. Missed trail to Desolation Lake, but rectified it with some quick overland hiking. Some rain that evening and a few claps of thunder to the south. Minor bugs.

Day 2 - Desolation Lake to Piute Canyon
Meandered from Desolation Lake up to Carol Col. Not the most direct route, but fun to explore a bit. Traversing the pass was made extremely easy thanks to info from this site. Puppet Lake is beautiful. I will need to visit this area again. Ended the day just below confluence of French and Piute Creeks. Bugs were out in force, especially at dusk.

Day 3 - Piute Canyon to MTR to Piute Canyon
Piute Canyon affords great views and has amazing trees. Some significant recent rockfall across the portion of trail built through a talus field. We later talked to a few rangers who were tasked with clearing the trail so stock could get by. They were under the false impression it was a single large rock. Resupply at Muir Trail Ranch was probably unnecessary, but it kept some weight off our backs for a couple days. Camped just past bridge on Piute Creek marking the border of Kings Canyon NP. Too many people on the JMT. No bugs.

Day 4 - Piute Canyon to Evolution Valley
I've been wanting to see Evolution Valley for about 20 years. It did not disappoint. Stopped at the bottom of McClure Meadow and soaked it in. Clouds rolled across the sky and a breeze kept the air cool and fresh. Camped just below switchbacks to Evolution Lake with a view of the Hermit. Too many people on the JMT. No bugs.

Day 5 - Evolution Valley to LeConte Canyon
Switchbacks up were easy. I guess the benefit of an overused trail is that the actual trail is kept in pretty good shape. Took a break at the top of the cascades flowing from Evolution Lake. Stunning beauty everywhere. More of the same as we ascended to Muir Pass. Three weeks earlier I had looked at Mount Goddard from Kaiser Peak and thought "I'll be hiking right by it!" It's really big. Black flies attacked at Wanda Lake. Muir Hut is underwhelming. A dearth of good campsites on the other side of Muir Pass. We ended up at a site just above Starr Camp. Too many people on the JMT. No bugs.

Day 6 - LeConte Canyon to Dusy Basin
Awoke to the smell of smoke and a thick haze down LeConte. We trudged along hoping it was smoke from a far away fire and not something requiring us turn around. The smoke cleared (mostly) as we climbed up to Dusy Basin. That trail pays off with every step. The views of the canyon and the Black Divide are stellar and the water cascading across the granite is mesmerizing. Although we were off the JMT, there were still a significant number of people on the trail. We broke off trail above the lower lakes and ended up at a fine campsite at lake 11388. After a quick dip in the gloriously cold water we laid on the granite and stared at Agassiz, Winchell, Thunderbolt, and Isosceles. One lone hiker came through, but moved on after viewing us from the ridge top. A good, good evening. No bugs.

Day 7 - Dusy Basin to South Lake
I thought Bishop Pass makes you earn it from the south...then I saw the north side. Wow! Those switchbacks at the top are a work of art. Lots of people hiking up as we descended. Burgers and beer at Mountain Rambler in Bishop.

Great trip. Very glad I did it, but I'm going back to sniffing out areas with less people.

nl-sl-2022-01.jpg
nl-sl-2022-02.jpg
nl-sl-2022-03.jpg
nl-sl-2022-04.jpg
nl-sl-2022-05.jpg
nl-sl-2022-06.jpg
nl-sl-2022-07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: North Lake > South Lake Loop - July 18-24, 2022

Post by texan »

Thanks for TR. That is an area I like a lot. Did you fish? A lot of good GT lakes .

Texan
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

texan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 pm Thanks for TR. That is an area I like a lot. Did you fish? A lot of good GT lakes .

Texan
Sorry, I meant to note that I did not fish. But I knew exactly what I was walking past...
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Wow! Great trip report. We are headed out next week, so excited!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for the trip report. Unfortunately, the great beauty, noteriety, and the ever increasing free time many people currently seem to have all lead to "too many people on the JMT." :D
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and great photos! I feel fortunate that I didn't see nearly as many people as you did on the JMT when I was a bit further north last weekend, but I was also only on it for a brief stretch (Duck Lake to Lake Virginia) and camped away from the trail a bit.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the trip report and wonderful photos.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for the brief but informative report. Photos are nice - the panorama at Maclure Meadow is stunning, and just as I remember it from my 2004 trip. Evolution Valley and Basin are places that you just need to visit, because of their beauty and grandeur, in spite of the crowds on the JMT. At least they are far enough in the backcountry that there aren't even bigger crowds of day hikers.
-Phil
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Love the Indian Paintbrush pic. Very cool.