sun/bug hats

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

sun/bug hats

Post by SSSdave »

A couple decades ago, two of us noticed a new nylon cap style sun hat with neck drapes that not only protected us from the sun but also mosquitoes. That hat was sold a few years at Big Five Sporting Goods but then disappeared. I posted its benefits on a few outdoor boards over the years and have seen a gradual increase in other products as others obviously also became believers. Climber's were among the first to begin using them. Of course over years, many passing hikers have also noticed in trail passing what we two were protectively wearing while mosquitoes hounded them. Mosquitoes have evolved to recognize an animals eyes and vulnerable hairless ears. They instinctively fly to the back of an animal's head where they look to land on ears. A neck drape thwarts that action leaving them on dense nylon fabric they cannot stick probosci through.

Of my 3 old beat up hats, all are now nearly unusable with the drape Velcro becoming weak so just went on Amazon to see what is now available. Wow, now there are many hat with drape models both cap and full brim styles as outdoor clothing manufacturers have also caught on to that popular market. Since the original model ended there were just a few styles available but none had a removable drape. Most current models with neck drapes are one piece and some don't cover one's ears enough or barely one's neck. For sunny situations a longer brim has value on cap models. One sometimes just needs a simpler hat minus a drape so removal has value. A new search shows now many hat drape products, some now have removable drapes, and competitive pricing under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sun+hat+with ... _sb_noss_2

Another useful feature on windy days is a chin strap. As a photographer to look into my EVF, I usually push the hat off hanging by the strap to the back of my neck. Some products also have chin face masks that are no doubt a result of pandemic masking and would only consider hats that can remove the chin face drape.

Just ordered this hat model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1KX3KJ?ps ... yp_imgToDp

Will report back after receiving and using.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: sun/bug hats

Post by austex »

Dave,
I have and use something similar for some years. As a fisherman it works well to keep skeets away, sun off the eyes and neck. The button flaps and chin strap helps to keep it attached to my melon. Removable neck drapes also a plus ads versatility and ventilation options. I have long before Covid existed discarded/lost the face mask drape; never found it useful and don't miss it. They are very light weight and packable.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: sun/bug hats

Post by Gogd »

I use a cotton, boonie style hat, to protect from the sun. If bugs are an issue I drape a full cover bug net over hat and head.
Below: Moi with boonie hat. Looking SE into upper basin of North Fork Big Pine Creek, from Cloudripper Pass. Lakes #5,6,7; Temple Crag in center of image.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.