Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 shock cord failure

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 shock cord failure

Post by SSSdave »

While checking pre-trip gear this week, noticed I had forgotten to fix my Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 shock cord failure I noticed last summer. Also damaged one pole section that is still usable with duct tape. The 3/32 inch diameter shock cord went bad for unknown reasons probably heat related. Cord is brittle, unstretching, with yellow glue like material oozed out. Recall noticing issues a couple summers ago with shock cord seemingly lengthening, so it has gradually developed. Obvious design material choice issue so am posting herein in case others have same issues. I will need to phone Big Agnes for the pole section.

In the mean time ordered for $10, 25 feet of 1/8 inch diameter shock cord from Amazon. Cord replacement is easy using stiff steel #22 utility wire to pull through sections. One could also cluge using regular non-stretch cordage with cord locks at ends to adjust lengths when setting a tent up. There are 4 separate pole sections connected as one set and will replace all 4. I have 4 usable tents and an OR Goretex Bivy and will use the bivy this week over 2 nights at Desolation.

BA-CS-shock-cords.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 shock cord failure

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you send the poles back to Big Agnes they will replace the shock cord free. I did that a few years ago. I just paid shipping and they paid the shipping back. The tent was given to me and I did not even have to show that I actually bought it. They need you to send all the pole pieces so they can balance/tighten them properly.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks Wd, that would be convenient. My ordered amazon shock cord arrived this afternoon, so replaced 3 of the 4 shock cord sections that was a fair amount of work. Since the new cord has a greater diameter, used some Gorilla tape at end points instead of making knots per BA. Also wrapped the cracked pole section end with a couple inches of Gorilla tape that I expect will hold. If not, I'll contact BA. Tomorrow will set up my tent outside on our lawn just to be sure I'm not missing something.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

I was in the Trinity Alps setting up camp when I discovered my Copper Spur UL2 shock cords had failed. Should have checked my gear prior but as this was the second trip with the tent I made a poor assumption it was good to go.

Upon returning from my trip I sent the poles back as @Wandering Daisy describes and had them returned approximately 8 weeks later just in time for a trip to red mountain basin. Of all the tents I've owned I've never had shock cords fail at all, let alone this prematurely. Hopefully the fix lasts for a long time.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Last week when I took apart the old shock pole set, I damaged the foot end 3 pole tube hub. I hammered the tent length tube on the hub back in but last week during our Hilton Creek 4 night backpack, it popped back out due to stress. I was able to still use the tent by setting up the foot end against tree trunks so it wouldn't buckle. We had a ridiculous strong thunderstorm wind event that lasted about an hour that it barely endured.

Since January, I've been healing from a skiing right shoulder rotator cuff injury that became a slow to heal tendonitis issue preventing me from doing any field work or much work on my computer or lifting my right arm above my shoulder. That is just now mostly healed enough I can get out backpacking again. Also in March was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer condition polycythemia vera and that too has been successfully treated to a stable level. Getting old ain't fun but with modern medical science we seniors can endure past conditions that would have ended our ancestors to live another day.

Big Agnes customer service set up a case before our Hilton Creek trip then Monday via emails, I gave Big Agnes info and quickly for just a modest cost will be receiving a new replacement pole tube section plus a pole hub this Saturday. Thanks Big Agnes support! So that will allow for a next week plan for a short 1 night backpack out of Sonora Pass to Latopie Lake and then road trip for some Mono Lake work. The lake has been dropping during the current drought:

Although everyone wants the Mono water level to rise, the current condition with many previously submerged rock islands now exposed, does allow on calm days given high clouds for some uncommon tufa photography, dawn sunrise at Old Marina and sunset dusk at County Park.