2022 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jfbruin34
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

GCT 6/16-6/19

Post by jfbruin34 »

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne (White Wolf => Glen Aulin), 6/16-6/19: all River / stream crossings possible without getting wet via bridges or rocks. A few slightly sketchy spots but got by with a helping hand from a friend.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

N Portion of Big SEKI Loop 6/22-6/24

Post by kdemtchouk »

Copper Creek TH -> Granite Pass -> Simpson Meadow -> JMT Southbound -> Woods Creek -> Road's End TH

Few creek crossings of interest, others all too negligible to mention:
-Palisades Creek @ JMT = Knee deep (I am 6'3") at 8am, with fairly strong flow
-South Fork Kings @ JMT = Can avoid getting wet hopping on rocks
-South Fork Kings @ Woods Creek Trail = There might be a way to rock hop/use logs, but I trucked through the river. Slightly above my ankles and slow.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Northern Emigrant 6/24-6/28

Post by kpeter »

Crossings in Northern Emigrant June-24-28.

Multiple easy wades; only one challenging crossing.

N Fork Cherry Creek between Emigrant Meadow Lake and Middle Emigrant: slow and calf deep, although the trail vanished in the brush in this vicinity.

N Fork Cherry Creek between Middle Emigrant and Blackbird Lake, calf deep.

N Fork Cherry Creek at inlet end of Emigrant lake. Gravelly and wide, barely calf deep.

Buck Meadow Creek between Emigrant and Buck Lakes. Calf deep.

Connector between Upper and Lower Buck Lakes--can almost hop across. Just a little above my ankles.

SUMMIT CREEK between Relief Reservoir and Lower Relief Valley. This is a stony, swift crossing in which it is difficult to see the bottom, but is not dangerous if done carefully. The main risk would be slipping on uneven underwater rocks into holes and twisting or lodging a foot. The water was deeper on the W side and gravelly and shallow in the E side of the crossing. Picking the right route across and probing with poles made a difference between putting my feet on secure knee-deep rocks as opposed to stepping down into thigh-high holes. There are also trees down and flood damage on both sides of the crossing, making it a little more complicated to find the right spot.
Last edited by maverick on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mills and Mono Creeks 6/26-6/30

Post by Harlen »

On our recent hike-- 6/26- 6/30, our only concern was the crossing of Mono Creek, to go up Mills Creek, aka "Second Recess."
We crossed mid-day over a dry log just upstream of the trail crossing, and our dog Bearzy walked/ and swam just above us. It would've been easy, just above the knees, had we waded in it.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Red Mountain Basin 7/13-7/18

Post by Love the Sierra »

Dry from Courtright to Long Meadow. Though people camped there, the water in Long Meadow was barely running and I would not want to filter from it.
Post Coral was extremely slow but running and we filtered there.
Dry up to Fleming Lake.
Both the upper and lower crossings of Fleming Creek were easy and dry. We were able to cross the Kings River the water is so low and the place so dry!