Possible Kaweah access around Red Spur?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Possible Kaweah access around Red Spur?

Post by shtinkypuppie »

Has anyone ever tried/contemplated accessing the Kaweah Group by wrapping around the Red Spur? It looks like the terrain isn't too steep and the satellite seems to show mostly sandy slopes that should be easy enough to sidehill along.
https://caltopo.com/m/G373F
kaweahgroup.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Re: Possible Kaweah access around Red Spur?

Post by TurboHike »

Take a look here:

viewtopic.php?t=10107
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

KaweahPR.jpg
(mouse select to enlarge)

Much downsized for web image above of Kaweah Peaks Ridge from my 2019 10-day backpack over Shepherd Pass. 16300x6000 pixels 5 frame 5 column 1 row 78 image focus stack stitch blend A6000 60mm.

Note the least visited areas of the Upper Kern Basin, arguably the furthest to reach, is no longer the eastern Kaweah Peaks Ridge plateau because that has been promoted on social media. Kern Point, Kern Ridge basin is one. The plateau brink of the Kern River trench from Mt Guyot for miles north to Casper The Ghost lake is another even less visited because the trails are distant, there are no fishing lakes, and no one has advertised those areas. But as a landscape photographer, are the kind of lonely places for views I've ventured to for decades. Note on my website I didn't advertise where images were tripoded from. Below a slightly downsized crop from above showing actual image detail below Red Kaweah with second crop the Red Spur section. Will look impressive on 8k displays I'll exhibit with. All these plateau areas are dominated by foxtail pines I sought out for gnarly specimens. 2019 Index:

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2019_Trip_ ... les-0.html

KaweahPR_cr2.jpg
KaweahPR_cr3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Kaweah pass isn't that hard, and the walk to the top of the NE peak above the pass is well worth it. Any particular reason your interested in traversing around? I'm sure the views of the Kern and the Sierra crest would be nice that way, but seems like a longer detour

Edit: after reading Rogue and others descriptions I think I understand your hesitation. When I did it in 2019 I didn't think it was that bad, but perhaps my memory is incorrect.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Hey Zacjust,
I had the same 'no big deal' experience with Kaweah pass the first time I descended with my partner. Typical sloggish. So I was surprised to hear Mav et al describe it so threateningly. My next experience with it was an ascent (with partner) that devolved into a scary situation that justified the warnings. The hike along the creek across the plateau is so rewarding with fantastic foxtails that it's a shame K pass isn't more reliable.