East vs West: Fastest way to Lake Reflection

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

East vs West: Fastest way to Lake Reflection

Post by Trailguru »

Hi HST,

I'm looking to see if some of you here can give me their input as to the fastest (doesn't have to be the easiest) way to get to Lake Reflection. I know the standard route is to go from Road's End in Kings Canyon but wondering how viable is the option to go from Kearsarge Pass? KP is a pass I'm well familiar with and know exactly how many hours it takes me to get to the top with a full pack. Knowing that and the fact that it's all downhill from there up till Junction Meadow I'm thinking the time it would take to get to junction meadow might be around 6 hours (3 hrs to KP and 3 hours to JM) and then maybe another 2-3 hours to Lake Reflection. Would that be faster and easier than going from the west side via Road's End?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: East vs West: Fastest way to Lake Reflection

Post by c9h13no3 »

A) Whatever you can get permits for.
B) Whatever drive is shorter for you.

The hike is about the same. Bubbs is a little faster (1hr?), Onion Valley more scenic but takes you right to high elevation (barf!). Personally, it's an extra 4 driving hours to Onion Valley and I'm sensitive to altitude sickness, so I'd never prefer that one.

Other reasons like, you enjoy the pre-trip acclimatization hikes more, or you really love Schats are also valid reasons to pick one over the other :P.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailguru »

Thanks for the tip.

Leaning towards Onion Valley as I find it easier to get permits and it's a shorter drive from LA (by about 1.5 hours)

David
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by oddtiger »

I'd prefer Onion Valley as I'm also driving up from LA and don't have any altitude sensitivity. I have done the Bubbs-Lake Reflection twice though and it's lush green and hot. Start early if you pick that route. East lake is a really nice camp choice and it's only a short walk up to Lake Reflection.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hurricaniac »

Onion Valley/Kearsarge is the scenic route, great views all the way in. Cedar Grove/Bubbs Ck are beautiful too. but it's a valley hike all the way in.