French Canyon to Humphreys route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rjszanto
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: French Canyon to Humphreys route?

Post by rjszanto »

Thanks @skyline. Well, uh, my perception of notifications is about the same as yours so I am responding kind of late. I did NOT go that way in 2019. Everyone bailed on me so I was solo when I went up to Lamarck Col. I've done the Col before and since (did it in 2020) but in 2019 solo I didn't feel great about it and turned back. So instead of doing my planned route over the Col, and out French, Pilot, Humphries, I just did an out and back, found a sweet little campsite overlooking Upper Lamarck and day hiked around a few days.

But I appreciate the information because I am doing this hike in late June with a little twist. I am going over Lamarck Col, intercepting a couple doing the PCT and hiking along with them down Evo and a little past MTR before heading to Feather Pass, Lake Meriam and then I plan to cross country to Elba and do Pilot knob as planned 3 years ago. So again, thanks for the information :).
skyline
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by skyline »

Ha, you're as bad as I am with notifications. Sounds like you'll have a fantastic hike in June. I've been meaning to re-do this trek, it was such a great time, but have been busy working on trips inside Yosemite the last couple years. Anyways, here's a view up the ridge from the saddle up to Pilot Knob. As you can see, it's straightforward, if a little loose, but nothing of concern. Enjoy your trip!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

rjszanto writes:
I appreciate the information because I am doing this hike in late June with a little twist. I am going over Lamarck Col, intercepting a couple doing the PCT and hiking along with them down Evo and a little past MTR before heading to Feather Pass, Lake Meriam and then I plan to cross country to Elba and do Pilot knob as planned 3 years ago. So again, thanks for the information :).
Great route indeed! I wonder if you wrote of your route in true chronological order when you placed Feather Pass before Lake Merriam? I hope so, because you will then enjoy one of two passes that I would also love to try-- either Merriam Lake Pass, or Ruskie Pass. Those are the ones that drop you down to Merriam Lake crossing over from Bear Basin. Your trip looks like a figure of 8, and why not?

Please give us the story of your trip after you've done it rj., or a few years later if you like. :) Good Luck.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

why do people like Pilot Knob?
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

rlown wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:26 pm why do people like Pilot Knob?
I don't know I just like to catch golden trout and French Canyon or Humphries basin are excellent choices to catch them.

Texan
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:thumbsup:
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Have you actually been up Pilot Knob or just looked at it? :)

It's only ~700ft of elevation from an easily gained saddle that can be used as an easy pass and around 400 of that is just walking up little sandy paths with the rest on incredibly stable talus. Solid 2 with some occasional mantling, but nothing technical. The ridge walk is a bit airy, but not knife edge. The view is incredible.

Roper describes it as an easy scramble with a fine vantage point, and Secor describes the view as outstanding.