Early July Trip Ideas (Mono/Parker Pass Vs. Virginia Lakes)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Early July Trip Ideas (Mono/Parker Pass Vs. Virginia Lakes)

Post by mxoyez »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:06 pm You may want a wind tunnel in early July mosquitoes!
One more question: apart from being overgrown, is there a trail down virginia pass?
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

One more question: apart from being overgrown, is there a trail down virginia pass?
When I last did this eight years ago there was a good use trail from Green Lake all the way up Glines Canyon to the pass. From the pass, the trail quickly petered out, but the terrain is open and it was easy cross country travel to Return Lake, our destination. The trail then picked up again as we headed down Virginia Canyon a bit before turning up to Summit Lake on our return back to Green Lake.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

I think I am a little late here but just so you're aware for future trips you cannot camp anywhere inside Yosemite, at least pre 2020, from the Dana Meadows trailhead to the park boundary. If you start your trip from Dana Meadows (Mono Pass) you need to camp on the east side of Mono or Parker Passes. Parker Pass Lake, Helen lake, Spillway Lake and that whole area east of the Kuna Crest are off limits to campers. I have camped just east of Parker and Mono Passes and they are good jump off points for the peaks you mentioned. Mount Lewis is a fun little cl.2 summit with a plaque dedicated to W.B.Lewis who was a superintendent of the park, maybe the 1st?
Green Lake and West Lake are good camping spots. Based on what I can tell from your statements, return lake might be a little tough for you to get to with a pack for a base camp. I cannot speak on crowds for either of those areas as I have only done mid sept to mid oct overnight trips and it's been nice and quiet in both areas.
If you are looking to get bang for your buck with scrambles up peaks, I would camp just east of Parker Pass. You can cl.2 walk up Parker, Wood, Kuna, Koip and Lewis so you cannot beat that. Alger Lakes is beautiful and once up to Koip Peak Pass it's almost guaranteed you'll want to hike down there and explore. Let us know where you end up :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

FWIW, if you're looking for good class 2 scrambling & nice camping, I thought Granite Dome & Black Hawk Mountain were my two favorite class 2 scrambles in the Sierra. Give me solid slabs over talus every day of the week. Permits & the drive from the Bay Area are super easy as well.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

SNOOOOW wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 pm I think I am a little late here but just so you're aware for future trips you cannot camp anywhere inside Yosemite, at least pre 2020, from the Dana Meadows trailhead to the park boundary. If you start your trip from Dana Meadows (Mono Pass) you need to camp on the east side of Mono or Parker Passes. Parker Pass Lake, Helen lake, Spillway Lake and that whole area east of the Kuna Crest are off limits to campers. I have camped just east of Parker and Mono Passes and they are good jump off points for the peaks you mentioned. Mount Lewis is a fun little cl.2 summit with a plaque dedicated to W.B.Lewis who was a superintendent of the park, maybe the 1st?
Green Lake and West Lake are good camping spots. Based on what I can tell from your statements, return lake might be a little tough for you to get to with a pack for a base camp. I cannot speak on crowds for either of those areas as I have only done mid sept to mid oct overnight trips and it's been nice and quiet in both areas.
If you are looking to get bang for your buck with scrambles up peaks, I would camp just east of Parker Pass. You can cl.2 walk up Parker, Wood, Kuna, Koip and Lewis so you cannot beat that. Alger Lakes is beautiful and once up to Koip Peak Pass it's almost guaranteed you'll want to hike down there and explore. Let us know where you end up :drinkers:
I was aware you couldn't camp in the dana fork watershed, but thanks for the reminder :) I think I'll be choosing that trip for the solitude, though I'm still not sure.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

druid wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 pm
When I last did this eight years ago there was a good use trail from Green Lake all the way up Glines Canyon to the pass. From the pass, the trail quickly petered out, but the terrain is open and it was easy cross country travel to Return Lake, our destination. The trail then picked up again as we headed down Virginia Canyon a bit before turning up to Summit Lake on our return back to Green Lake.
I came over Virginia Pass from Return Lake last year and the use trail is still good and easy to follow.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

windknot wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm
druid wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 pm
I came over Virginia Pass from Return Lake last year and the use trail is still good and easy to follow.
Awesome. Do you have any advice for the cross country to return lake? It looks pretty mellow on the topo map, but I just want to be sure.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

mxoyez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 pm Awesome. Do you have any advice for the cross country to return lake? It looks pretty mellow on the topo map, but I just want to be sure.
I hiked that route a few years back and it is pretty mellow. We tried to follow the contour line and not lose much elevation, but that entailed some small loose talus. It's probably easier to just walk straight across the canyon. It was quite beautiful down there as I recall. Nice campsite below the outlet of Return Lake.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 am
mxoyez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 pm Awesome. Do you have any advice for the cross country to return lake? It looks pretty mellow on the topo map, but I just want to be sure.
I hiked that route a few years back and it is pretty mellow. We tried to follow the contour line and not lose much elevation, but that entailed some small loose talus. It's probably easier to just walk straight across the canyon. It was quite beautiful down there as I recall. Nice campsite below the outlet of Return Lake.
Alright that sounds great! Have you visited shepherd lake or onion lake? Shepherd seems easy to get to on the topo map but i can't tell how overgrown it is :D
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

mxoyez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 am Alright that sounds great! Have you visited shepherd lake or onion lake? Shepherd seems easy to get to on the topo map but i can't tell how overgrown it is :D
No, we didn't visit those lakes. We did hike overland from Return Lake to Soldier Lake. I think I posted a TR here...
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.