Trip Advice Yosemite - Pohono Trail area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice Yosemite - Pohono Trail area

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Weather report does not go out far enough, but by the end of this week it will be mid to upper 90's in the valley. You may try to hitch hike and get a ride back to the Valley from Tunnel View if the heat continues. Get a very early start on your second trip. It too will be hot.

I think they are still allowing overnight parking across from Camp 4, in the Yosemite Lodge parking lot west of the information Kiosk. Ask when you get your permit. There is a bear box at the Kiosk. I re-parked there when I went up Yosemite Falls trail; bus schedules were not good when I was there. I think the busses will be running more frequently now. The upper quarter of the Yosemite Falls trail is brutal with little shade. In fact, I wished I had brought my sun umbrella. I think the small water sources may be dry when you go. Hope for a wind that blows the spray of the upper falls at you.

If you park near the BP campground, I prefer parking in Curry Village parking (back next to the little hut where people get permits for the campgrounds) rather than the Trailhead Parking, which is very dusty and often fills up with day-hiker cars.

I hope the dogwoods are blooming; they are really beautiful.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

The valley looks super hot, forecast for this Friday (my 1st day) is 99! I'm hoping that I get to Big Oak Flat early enough to get my permit on Thursday and then being on east coast time, I'll get an early start and avoid the heat and the tourists on the Mist Trail. If the last day seems to be crazy hot, I might take the Four Mile Trail down to the valley but hitching from Tunnel View or the base of Bridal Veil is a possibility.

My hope for the 2nd trip is that I can get my permit the day before (when I come off the Pohono Trail) and get an early start.

I was planning on parking in the Curry Village lot and just leaving the car there the whole time, didn't think it would be worth moving parking places vs hiking an extra mile or so. Just writing that makes me wonder if I can leave my car there the whole time or do I need to move it somewhere else?

I like the dogwoods in KY, it would be nice to see them in Yosemite
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Well my trip went mostly according to plans.
I ended up doing 5 nights (Mist Trail -> Echo Valley -> Sunrise Lakes -> Clouds Rest -> LYV -> Panorama Trail -> Glacier Point -> Stanford Point -> Valley) and then 2 nights on the north rim (Yosemite Falls Trail -> El Cap -> North Dome -> Yosemite Falls Trail -> Valley). The only change was a fire shut the Snow Creek Trail so I could not come down through Mirror Lake and had to backtrack to the falls.

All the little creeks were flowing on the Pohono Trail and near El Cap and North Dome, so I never had to carry water very far.
Mostly good weather, 2 bears, no snakes and only one night of mosquitos. I'll eventually post a real trip report.

Thanks @Wandering Daisy @LMBSGV @maiathebee for your suggestions. Middle Sunrise Lake was a great addition and the campsite near North Dome was a spectacular way to end my trip.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com