TR Green Creek Basin, Hoover Wilderness August 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR Green Creek Basin, Hoover Wilderness August 2019

Post by Love the Sierra »

Route:
Day 1: Green Creek TH -> East Lake
Day 2: Day hike East Lake -> Summit lake
Day 3: East Lake -> West Lake
Day 4: West Lake -> Green Creek TH

Why on earth am I posting this 3 years later?
I have felt guilty for not posting it when all of you were so wonderful in recommending the location of our trip.
However, was too painful to look at these pictures and even now, 3 years later, this was a very melancholy chore. It ended up being my Sunshine's last backpack. Even though she is under my desk right now, I miss her terribly every time my boots hit dirt. I miss who she had been, every day at home. Shortly after this trip, she had been stricken with epilepsy.

My Jasmine Rose had been only 7 months old and we needed a reasonably easy trip, however, all of the snow had come in March that year and creeks were all running high. This is a great beginners trip so it may give ideas to those looking for something easier. There were SO MANY creek crossings, it was great for puppy Jasmine Rose to learn about them. I switched shoes and waded through them with her. My, then, athletic Sunshine skipped over the stones without even getting her toes wet.

The flowers were abundant and the colors of the granite amazing. It was also the last summer we had, before summer turned into fire season. Another extremely sad reality for me. I miss summer. I miss my Sunshine.

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Love the Sierra on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: Green Creek Basin, Hoover Wilderness August 2019

Summit Lake images and the way back to East Lake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

On the way to West lake from East Lake
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

More of West Lake sunset and REFLECTIONS!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

I love my Sunshine so much and, even disabled, she is a wonderful girl. Here she is today.
IMG_4720.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Green Creek Basin, Hoover Wilderness August 2019

Post by balzaccom »

Nice! Was there much wind in the evening? I think the night we spent at West Lake is the windiest night I have ever spent in the Sierra---the wind sounded like a jet engine at times. And I've never been at Summit Lake when it wasn't blowing hard...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@balzaccom All was quiet the entire trip. We had really lovely weather other than the hot day climbing up to West. It was really quite a perfect trip.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tahoefoothills »

My only bear backpacking bear encounter occurred near East Lake. I heard something outside my tent about 6:30 a.m. (daylight) and saw a rather large bear way too close to my tent. All food, etc., was stored in a bear canister away from the campsite. I made a little noise and the bear scampered away. Startling way to begin your day.