TR: Yosemite-Emigrant Wilderness Borderland, 5/25-6/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Yosemite-Emigrant Wilderness Borderland, 5/25-6/3

Post by giantbrookie »

Actually I did understand the hypothesis that the heavier lure may generate more momentum and be easier to shake out than a lighter one. I still think the more poorly hooked fish is probably more likely, either due to a more tentative strike or some oddball difference in retrieve styles that may provoke the fish to hit when the line is more slack.

One way or another, it is good to see that the lost fish on Kastmasters didn't prevent you from having a terrific haul of big fish.

Regarding the casting-to-catch-the-tree, because I make a lot of casts, the law of averages are that I have sent more than a few to a final resting place in branches hanging above a lake shoreline. I am lacking in the skill or will to climb said tree to retrieve my lure, so my errant casts in this regard contribute to the scenery we've all seen at various lakes in the past---seeing a lure stuck in branches, or, more visually hilarious, hanging from said branch.

Interesting counterbalance weight estimate technique. I think you certainly had the potential of that lake of equalling or bettering the counterweight. I suspect the two-day, two-person haul that Lee and I packed out from the E. Sierra Lake last September would have tipped the scale toward the fish. Of course this may have also led to karmic retribution. There is no doubt the huge load I was carrying out led to my right knee collapsing on the descent, an injury I'm still dealing with today.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,
Your commentary definitely triggered trip envy. Fabulous trip and great report; especially the profusion of snakes and the dragonfly emergence. But one question: I see no low branches on the tree you ascended, so did you shimmy or use a rope? Either way, very impressive! Cheers,
Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

You write:
I see no low branches on the tree you ascended, so did you shimmy or use a rope? Either way, very impressive! Cheers,
Cameron
In a former life (youth) I was a tree worker... and just enjoy tree climbing. Learned to climb palms like a monkey in Tahiti, and that trick works on most bare trunks..
I palm-treed the small tree on the right, and then transferred over. Thanks for asking, you are very observant.

IMG_7789.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Fabulous to see this early-season peek at one of my favorite haunts. That Tanager is fantastically beautiful. I have only seen one or two in my life--and it has been 50 years. It was such a thrill as a kid to see that flash of color moving through the trees. In fact, you saw a surprising variety and amount of wildlife. My brother and I saw very little on our similar trip.

I found the C-X from Many Island to Boundary to be interesting but not completely straightforward. To avoid the lake at 7489 and the cliffs that come into it from point 7883, I headed north through the little pass just west of 7883. Is that what you did?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

kpeter wrote:
That Tanager is fantastically beautiful. I have only seen one or two in my life--and it has been 50 years. It was such a thrill as a kid to see that flash of color moving through the trees. ....

I found the C-X from Many Island to Boundary to be interesting but not completely straightforward. To avoid the lake at 7489 and the cliffs that come into it from point 7883, I headed north through the little pass just west of 7883. Is that what you did?
Thanks for the comments Peter. Yes, Tanagers are brilliant birds. Carleton says they are often lost to sight, high up in the trees, which is why our multiple sightings of them low down-- and even perched on a downed tree trunk, was so fantastic.

A for our CC route to Boundary from M.I.Lk., we avoided the direct and cliffy route around Lake 7489 by crossing at its connecting stream to Lake 7458.
I am going to try to include a Caltopo of our route above.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Ian,
If I recall, you spooked Michael last year when you were foraging around high up in a tree (imitating a bear) and this tine around you're doing your best to outdo the tanagers with that bright shirt. Hard act to follow! Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Harlen wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:01 pm A for our CC route to Boundary from M.I.Lk., we avoided the direct and cliffy route around Lake 7489 by crossing at its connecting stream to Lake 7458.
I am goingto try to include a Caltopo of our route above.
From that crossing at the connector stream, if you contour to the south of the dome that is west of Little Bear, you come right to the Little Bear outlet, a delightful camp and central location. My route descended north and into Boundary from the north. It sounds like you went over the hump and came into Boundary at its SW end? I don't think I would take my original route again, now knowing the alternatives.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

kpeter wrote:
From that crossing at the connector stream, if you contour to the south of the dome that is west of Little Bear, you come right to the Little Bear outlet, a delightful camp and central location. My route descended north and into Boundary from the north. It sounds like you went over the hump and came into Boundary at its SW end? I don't think I would take my original route again, now knowing the alternatives.
Peter, et al., you can now see our route more clearly as a Caltopo Map-- below the 6th photo, in the first section of the the TR. It sounds like you enjoyed the route you took south around to the outlet of Little Bear Lake, but was that on a different trip from the one where you reached Boundary Lake from the north? We reached Boundary on it's western shore, a bit more than halfway up the lake. Thanks for your comments Peter; we wonder if you are still here, or are you on the trail again to explore the northern Emigrant Wilderness? Buena Suerte, Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Outstanding pictures and, WOW, how much wildlife. How lucky you were to see all of them!
Was it very hot out on those granite ridges? It looked like they are so exposed you would just cook.
Thanks for posting.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Harlen wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:28 pm kpeter wrote:
Peter, et al., you can now see our route more clearly as a Caltopo Map, as the 2nd to last image at the end of my Trip Report above. I traded a Rattlesnake photo for the map of our route. It sounds like you enjoyed the route you took south around to the outlet of Little Bear Lake, but was that on a different trip from the one where you reached Boundary Lake from the north? We reached Boundary on it's western shore, a bit more than halfway up the lake. Thanks for your comments Peter; we wonder if you are still here, or are you on the trail again to explore the northern Emigrant Wilderness? Buena Suerte, Ian.
Still here, delayed for a family gathering, will head out loaded up with DEET on Wednesday.

It seems there are three ways into Boundary/Little Bear coming from Many Island. I have gone in via the north end round 7883, you came more toward the middle, but I have also gone south to the Little Bear outlet. The northern route involves contouring around the granite high above where the Styx Pass--Lord Meadow trail goes. I think your route or my Little Bear route is more direct and easier, depending on the destination. It sounds like you arrived at Boundary Lake just a bit north of my favorite peninsula camp opposite the cliffs--originally recommended to me by Balzacom.