TR: West Emigrant May 30-June3 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: West Emigrant May 30-June3 2022

Post by giantbrookie »

What a superb way to rehab through your knee and ankle issues! That is a positive message to young and old alike (I turn 63 in August) that with some dedication, one can bounce back pretty quickly from such things (even as "seniors") and get back to a high level of mobility (far greater than the average adult).

Nice photos, especially of running water, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

kpeter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:50 pm
wildhiker wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 pm There was a major Sierra flood event from atmospheric river rain on snow in 1997. Perhaps that caused the erosion and deposition you saw?
-Phil
Wow, that must be it. Gianelli got 19" of rain in 7 days. Zounds. No wonder the trails were undermined, banks undercut, sand deposited, and meadows erased with till.
My brother checked the satellite images from 1998 and from 1993. In 1998 the till at the mouth of Buck Meadow Creek had been deposited there at the confluence. In 1993 it had not. So it looks very much as if Wildhiker's theory is correct--it was a huge rain on snow event between Christmas and New Year's in 1996-97 that tore Emigrant up.

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/storm_summar ... storms.php
Last edited by kpeter on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Harlen wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 am kpeter, I wonder if your brother knew that small purple flower seen in your very last photo? We saw a real bloom of them covering openings in the Jeffrey Pine forest on Kibbie Ridge. Looks like a Phacelia of some kind. Can you ask him for us?
Hi Harlen, he says "It is called pussypaws or Calyptridium umbellatum, aka Cistanthe umbellate."
DSC06293-2.jpg
EDIT:

I may have confused him by sending the wrong picture. With regard to the Phacelia, he says:

"Well, I agree that it is a Phacelia, but which one I don’t know. Someone more familiar with California flora would need to make that determination. It was an annual and from browsing through CalFlora there are several possibilities. The trouble with Phacelias is that size and morphology, especially leaf morphology change dramatically with the habitat. So, a specimen from a moister, somewhat shady environment can look very different from one from a sunny, dry site, meaning that you really do need to key them out based on the flower morphology which doesn’t change—or just be really familiar with the local flora, which I am not."
DSC06199-2.jpg
There are over 90 Phacelias in the Sierra, apparently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalMntHkr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CalMntHkr »

Kpeter

Great crossing paths at the trail head. I'm happy to see you adapted to a situation and created a great trip. My trip went very well despite the rain. I keep getting interrupted on my TR but should have it posted in a day or so.

-CalMntHkr
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Common early summer about mid elevation granite gruss flats including Kibbie Lake. Racemose phacelia, phacelia racemosa.

https://www.calflora.org/app/taxon?crn=6388

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/ ... a+racemosa
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Peter and Dave,

I guess that must be it Dave, though the flowers were so well-developed compared to those in the Calflora images. The simple, linear leaves are diagnostic-- most Phacelia have much divided, ferny leaves don't they?

You can see in the first image below how extensive a bloom it was on our trip in late May-early June.
#2814 Missing Filename File.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Great story about the impact of the rain-snow event, and even better to see backpacking serving as physical therapy. As they say, keep on trucking! Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

CalMntHkr wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:02 am Kpeter

Great crossing paths at the trail head. I'm happy to see you adapted to a situation and created a great trip. My trip went very well despite the rain. I keep getting interrupted on my TR but should have it posted in a day or so.

-CalMntHkr
It was great to meet you! I will look forward to your report!
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey Kpeter -- it was a nice surprise to cross paths out there! I agree that West Fork area is idyllic for camping, and I love that you explored the falls upstream to reach Paiute Lake. I feel like this part of Emigrant is especially well-suited for off-trail exploration. Hope to see you again soon :)