Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon if the Tuolumne

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ohlol
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Snowpack levels <> Grand Canyon if the Tuolumne

Post by ohlol »

maiathebee wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:53 pm I'm thinking of doing this Memorial Day so you'll have beta if you check the early season conditions pages.
Hello! My gf and I are going Sat-Tues. Looks like things are likely to be a bit chilly--freeze-thaw conditions @ ~6000'.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not think there will be much snow to freeze and thaw. Perhaps on the trail down to Glen Aulin, but I doubt below that point. Flooding below Glen Aulin may be more of an issue. When I was up at Tenaya Lake last week, there was little if any snow below 8,000 feet. It has been hot since then, so remaining snow may have melted. I have done GCT three times at Memorial Day weekend and never had much snow but did have some wading through high water. Will be cold first night, if going down from Tuolumne Meadows.
ohlol
Topix Novice

Post by ohlol »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:10 pm I do not think there will be much snow to freeze and thaw. Perhaps on the trail down to Glen Aulin, but I doubt below that point. Flooding below Glen Aulin may be more of an issue. When I was up at Tenaya Lake last week, there was little if any snow below 8,000 feet. It has been hot since then, so remaining snow may have melted. I have done GCT three times at Memorial Day weekend and never had much snow but did have some wading through high water. Will be cold first night, if going down from Tuolumne Meadows.
Yeah for sure. Sorry, I meant temperature range. I think it was in the 90s in Yosemite Valley this week. The forecast right now looks solidly in the 40s: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2500 https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2000
ohlol
Topix Novice

Post by ohlol »

None of the crossings were problematic. The flooding east of California Falls was the worst part, and even that was mostly avoidable with smart choices and a little off-trail bushwhacking. I'll post more when I get home!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I bailed on my trip since there was snow in the forecast. I just rode my motorcycle around and stayed at Upper Pines, did some day hikes. Sorry I don't have any water levels to report, sounds like others do.
234A503D-B9A4-427A-9AAA-7BAE5F568F88.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love