Pine Creek Pass Vs Mono Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Pine Creek Pass Vs Mono Pass

Post by mxoyez »

Hello!
I'm planning on doing two backpacking trips in june (one early june, one late june), and I'm not sure what order to do them in. Neither is a loop trip, since loop trips are hard to plan early season. I'll list them right below.
1. Pine Creek Pass -> Base camp at french lake -> Explore Royce Lakes + french canyon -> Out
2. Mono pass -> Base camp somewhere along mono creek -> Explore Laurel lake canyon + Hike to hopkins pass -> Out
My main concerns are 1. Mono creek crossing at fourth recess (which some said should be ok in another thread, but the coming heatwave will make it worse) and 2. Too much snow. In general this snow year seems like 2020 which was dry but still much wetter than last year. Does anyone have insight into what order to do these trips or if they're just undoable?
Thanks for your advice :)
Forgot to Add:
Experience:
Level 2 Backpacker.
A bit of snow experience, not that much though.
Favorite Scenery: Anywhere in the sierra will be nice, I just don't want crowds.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Pine Creek Pass Vs Mono Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You have to cross Pine Creek to get to Pine Creek Pass. The crossing below Pine Lake can be difficult early season. Evidently you can detour the crossing at the trail (which is swift water) by going up the lake outlet and wade water but calm. Personally, I prefer Pine Creek/Royce/French Lake route to Mono Pass route. I was not that impressed with Hopkins Lake or any of the Hopkins drainage. Mosquitoes were horrible at Hopkins Lake early season last year. However, Pioneer Basin is a better destination if you are going in Mono Pass. Lots of lakes to wander around and you get good views of 4th Recess.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Newest Sentinel-Hub May 31 view of Mono Creek snow:

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false

During 2017 I visited Laural Creek areas in early August with snow amounts similar to what will be June this year. I had previously visited the area in 1997 that I much preferred during August with a group when it was green and flowery. That noted, there are those that like such mostly snowy type stark rock, snow, still brown vegetation conditions, that don't care much about greenery, flowers, or peak photographic aesthetics. Especially fishermen interested in over winter hungry trout, so it could work. Likewise the Pioneer Basin area is still barely melted out with some lake surfaces still frozen.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_ ... 17-15.html
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the link! It was also helpful for me to look at Bishop Pass -LeConte Canyon area for my next week trip.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

Thanks for the advice you two!! I'm leaning more towards Royce lakes now, but still unsure. Which of the two do you think is more likely to be foiled by snow and or creek crossings? Royce lakes seem to be melting out nicely.
I've also been up to Italy pass in the past. Does that change which of the two trips you would recommend or not really?
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Post by looks easy from here »

I crossed the logjam across the outlet to Lower Pine Lake in late June 2017 (200% snowpack year!) and didn't even get the soles of my boots wet. A couple creek crossing higher up were a little wetter, but I never went above my ankles.
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted

Post by mxoyez »

SSSdave wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:12 am Newest Sentinel-Hub May 31 view of Mono Creek snow:

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false

During 2017 I visited Laural Creek areas in early August with snow amounts similar to what will be June this year. I had previously visited the area in 1997 that I much preferred during August with a group when it was green and flowery. That noted, there are those that like such mostly snowy type stark rock, snow, still brown vegetation conditions, that don't care much about greenery, flowers, or peak photographic aesthetics. Especially fishermen interested in over winter hungry trout, so it could work. Likewise the Pioneer Basin area is still barely melted out with some lake surfaces still frozen.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_ ... 17-15.html
Ok, thanks for the info. What mono recesses / side basins do you think would be nicest at this time?