Easy scrambles/side trips from Hungry Packer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Easy scrambles/side trips from Hungry Packer

Post by SDTrojan »

Hi everyone,

I have a four day backpacking permit from the Lake Sabrina TH at the end of May and was planning to camp at Hungry Packer.
I know and love the location, but since I've been here a few times, and have been getting more into scrambling and off-trail adventures, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any class III scrambles in the area.
I was considering doing Haeckel and Wallace, although I'm not sure if it would make for a very long day.

I'll be going solo, so although I'm comfortable in class III terrain, I also don't want anything veering into the upper class IV/V ranges.
Aside from scrambling, if anyone has any other side trip recommendations with Hungry Packer as a base, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Easy scrambles/side trips from Hungry Packer

Post by c9h13no3 »

That area is known for choss more than it is for solid rock. Most of the classic routes I know of in the area involve snow, which at the end of May should be in pretty decent shape. Point Powell, and the various couloirs along the Powell-Thompson-Gilbert-Johnson ridge are all excellent.

If you read an account of going over Thompson-Powell col while it is dry, you'll reconsider your desire to scramble around on the rock there :P.

The classic NW Arete route on Haeckle is cl4.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

I think the hike to Echo Col is one of my favorites because I like to fish and Echo Lake is good at the right time. Also I like the water fall out of Echo Lake. It will be frozen when you go its too early season, but you can get great views from Echo Col.

Texan
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted

Post by SDTrojan »

Thanks a lot for the tips! Much appreciated.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

picture peak
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gazelle:
picture peak

X2. You can make it into a thrilling climb from the north, or tone it down to class 3.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted

Post by SDTrojan »

Thank you. Sounds like the South side is the way to go for Class III for Picture Peak. Will give it a look.