Night Cap Trail in the Emigrant Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Night Cap Trail in the Emigrant Wilderness

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Trying to see if this trail is in good shape. I read about in my book called "Emigrant Wilderness and Northwestern Yosemite" by Ben Schifrin. My map shows the trail but the book seems to allude that it is very obscure and not used too much. The map then calls it a stock trail and so im thinking it is well defined due to the horses that may have been on it. Anyone hike it in the last few years and can comment about its general condition?

Thanks for your time,
Drew
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Re: Night Cap Trail in the Emigrant Wilderness

Post by Sierra_Summits »

It is located near relief reservoir.

--Bob Marley
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

@Sierra_Summits -
I’m not familiar with this trail, but it does show up on USFS topo maps. Here is a link that mentions it in passing (and shows it on a rough map):
https://highsierratrails.com/kennedy_la ... trail.html

It might help if you mention why you want to explore this route; just an interest in “historic” trails, or do you want to bag Night Cap Peak ? If the latter, maybe check this out:
https://www.summitpost.org/night-cap-peak/153579
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is the trail that is used to bring in cows to Kennedy Lake. Given this use, it would be cleared of deadfall. I believe it is maintained by the ranchers who have the grazing lease. You can call the Stanislaus FS office and see when cattle will be let in this year. Not sure why anyone would want to use it since the regular trail into Kennedy Lake is a really nice trail.
NorCal_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by NorCal_Hiker »

Yes, that is correct. You definitely don’t want to use this trail right after they’ve brought the cows into the lake. It will be torn up and smelly. If memory serves, in past years that has been in late June. But as Wandering Daisy says, I’ve found the folks at the forest service who manage the grazing program to be surprisingly responsive on questions about where the cows are going to be.
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Thanks for the tips on getting on this trail before the cows do. My main reason for using this trail is that the book says that it is very scenic. I would be going on it in a few weeks so hopefully before the stock animals get on it. I will call the ranger station, but typically I find the info here more up to date than what they provide. I do appreciate the info I have gotten from the USFS in regards to trails.

drew

--Bob Marley