Question about snagging a walk-up permit in Mineral King - on Memorial Day Weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Question about snagging a walk-up permit in Mineral King - on Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Lenier »

If I got to Mineral King by 7 AM the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, how likely is it that I can snag a walk-up permit for at least one of the overnight locations? LIkely shooting for Sawtooth Pass or White Chief.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about snagging a walk-up permit in Mineral King - on Memorial Day Weekend

Post by looks easy from here »

I wouldn't be surprised if the odds are poor. Walk ins start getting issued at 1 pm the day before departure, so everyone who can get there Friday afternoon will have first crack at Saturday permits. My only experience with a permit station on a holiday was Mammoth Lakes on Labor Day Saturday, and it was an utter madhouse. I got in line an hour before they opened, and the line was already so long at that point that when they opened it took 45 minutes for me to get to the desk (fortunately I already had reservations, I was just picking up my permit). The advantage for you going to SEKI over Inyo NF is that Mineral King trailhead walk in permits can only be issued at Mineral King, unlike Inyo where all the stations could issue for all the trailheads, so you're only competing with people who risk the drive in.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Question about snagging a walk-up permit in Mineral King - on Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Lenier »

I think I have the number for the ranger station somewhere - I may call them if that number still works around 2 on Friday and see if anything is left. I can't imagine that the 30+ walkup permits available for the valley will all be taken by Friday, but your concerns are those that I obviously share. Thanks for your input!