Recommendations near Emigrant Gap / Yuba Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Recommendations near Emigrant Gap / Yuba Pass

Post by alc101ma »

Hi All,

I'm planning to go backpacking over Memorial Day weekend and would like to explore the area north of 80 between Emigrant Gap and Yuba Pass.

I've driven all the way to Bowman Lake (car camping) many years ago but otherwise have not explored the area much other than a day hike to Emerald Pools. It looks like there are a lot of great options in the general area and would love help narrowing it down.

Some useful info:

Group size = 2
Me = experienced backpacker, mostly go out alone. Do occasional x-country and scrambling.
Partner = novice/intermediate but hasn't been out in about 6 years.
Would like to stay on established trail (minor off trail is ok)
I enjoy fishing so would like to camp near lakes
Trip duration = Friday - Sunday (may possibly head up late on Thursday)

Anyone have recommendations on a potential itinerary?
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations near Emigrant Gap / Yuba Pass

Post by balzaccom »

The whole area full of lakes by Grouse Ridge is lovely. Lots of lakes to explore, not a lot of up and down to hike. And if you find there are too many people in one place, just go to the next lake...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I've done many day hikes and backpacks in the Grouse Lakes Roadless Area and think it is very nice for early season trips, but you will probably still have to deal with snow on Memorial Day weekend. The Sentinel Hub satellite photo from May 5 still shows solid snowpack above 7000 feet for that area, with large patches down to 6600 feet, even on the south-facing slopes. There is also the issue of trailhead road access. All the trailheads are at the ends of forest service dirt/gravel roads that branch off the main paved Bowman Lake road. Those access roads have to melt off - they never get plowed. And some are pretty rough in places - best to have a high clearance vehicle (my Subaru Outback handles all of them just fine, but my Prius would have problems with rocks on some).

I would recommend starting at Blue Lake on the south side of the Grouse Lakes area and hiking up to Beyers Lakes - about 6 miles and 1000 feet elevation gain. The trailhead road leaves paved Bowman Road just past the popular roadside Fuller Lake - look for a "Rucker Lake - Blue Lake" sign, or a "Camp Liahona" sign. This road starts in good condition for the first 1/2 mile to where it splits - right for Rucker Lake, left for Blue Lake. Then you get some rough patches that may need high clearance. The road improves after it splits again, with a private gated road heading left and the main road crossing the outlet creek from Blue Lake and heading up to a parking area just before the lake dam. Total distance from Bowman Road to Blue Lake parking is about 1.5 miles.

The trail starts from the NE corner of the parking area behind a sign on a tree that says that motor vehicles are prohibited. A very short section of narrower trail leads to an old jeep traIl that you follow to the east (right). It winds around a bit and deposits you after 1/2 mile at the east end of Blue Lake at a PG&E "primitive campground" which consists of 6 numbered sites with no infrastructure that I could see except a picnic table at one site. Follow the narrower trail down the east side of the lake past the numbered sites to a big granite outcrop that blocks further travel along the lakeshore. Here the fainter trail heads up a ravine to the south and pops out on the private road that accesses some cabins. Just across the road there is a sign for the Blue Lake trail, which now contours across the south-facing slope coming down from Grouse Ridge. The first mile or so of the trail follows an old ditch that used to divert water from a minor creek into Blue Lake. This trail is easy to follow and eventually intersects the Grouse Ridge Trail, where you start to get some views out. Keep heading east on that trail to the intersection with the Beyers Lakes Trail, which takes you up to the lakes. The trail does not go right to the lake shore, but stays a bit above it on a broad ridge to the south. You can see the lake and there are use trails down to campsites closer to the lake.

You may have to walk on some snow as you approach the lakes, but there are no steep slopes. However, the biggest obstacle may be crossing Granite Creek, which drains a higher area to the north. At peak snowmelt, it can be a raging creek. Once on a May dayhike on this trail, we decided to turn around at the creek because it was running so full.

From a camp at Beyers Lakes, you can continue on the main trail to take a nice dayhike over to Baltimore Lake (where we saw a bald eagle) and explore beyond it cross-country to Wagon Wheel Lake and the ponds around it. This area beyond Beyers Lakes feels quite wild and remote.

This trail is not well mapped on the topos. Send me a PM and I'll send you a PDF of my map with the trails properly located.

-Phil
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Based on snow conditions, the Beyers Lake recommendation above is your best bet. I've hiked in there from three different trailheads and Blue Lake is my preferred route. I've fished it once or twice with no success (it may be fishless?). Nice established campsite on the west side.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
alc101ma
Topix Regular

Post by alc101ma »

Thanks @wildhiker and @Carne_DelMuerto !

I'll do some planning based on your recommendations. The Blue Lake lot looks fairly small. Do you think it'll be full on the Friday before Memorial Day? We might drive most of the way on Thurs night and then hit the trailhead early on Friday.
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

There is a large open area before the last short climb to the lot by the dam — I usually park there. 3-4 years ago that last stretch of road was badly rutted, but when I hiked there last year that section had been regraded. If the lot under the dam is full, there will be more than enough room in the lower open area.
blue-lake-parking.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
alc101ma
Topix Regular

Post by alc101ma »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:47 pm There is a large open area before the last short climb to the lot by the dam
I missed the lot near the dam. Thanks!