Backpacking destinations with young kid

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking destinations with young kid

Post by Gogd »

kpeter wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:11 pm And while Gogd and I have differing views of what a 4 year can do and enjoy-- it is no doubt due to our experiences with different four year olds. So the second cardinal rule of backpacking with kids is to know your child.
Actually my experience has been 100% success when I was the one organizing the trip, with close to a dozen kids over a 30 year period, with ages ranging from 4 - 9YO . Only one of these children was was mine. Meanwhile I've witnessed family trips that were to ambitious or poorly managed, families that took their small (ands not so small) children backpacking with bad outcomes. Sometimes it was due to the longer miles, other times because their backpacks were too heavy, and sometimes because The children were pushed, or the trip geared more to the adults than the children.

I do agree knowing what the child is capable of really helps. But you don't necessarily get to judge this based on day hikes where the child is not shouldering a bag. The only way to really tell is to backpack. That is why it helps to make the first couple of trips short and sweet. You can always boost the mileage later, but if you botch the introductory attempts, good luck getting them to join on future trips.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by BESON »

Thanks all for the excellent ideas on locations and more general tips on what I'll be in for. I've got a great list of ideas going and look forward to being able to get out with her. Pictures and trip reports to come. Thanks!

My daughter has done well with day hikes thus far and has been asking since last summer when she gets to go backpacking with me. 5-6 mile day hikes haven't been a problem. Her longest was around 8-9 miles. I've tried to get her out early and often (see picture of her on my chest as we were fishing in Kings Canyon). We usually have her carry a backpack with a change of clothes, minimal water, and a stuffed animal friend. I think we'd do likewise backpacking and I'd sherpa all our gear. So, lower miles might in some ways be as much for me as for her. :)

Many thanks, again!
Picture1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Based on feedback/research here I'm planning on taking my young family (7 yo boy / 5 yo girl) backpacking early fall to Dinkey Lakes. I think this would be a good option for you as you're coming from the Central Valley (I'll be driving from the Central Coast). There appears to be good fishing at the lakes and elevation gain would be minimal.

Planning on a September entry as mosquitoes shouldn't be an issue and weather most likely still pleasant.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I think Dinkey is named for the size of the fish. :)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Actually, it's named for a heroic but tiny dog who helped its owner fight off a bear...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I took my 6 year old son first time backpacking trip to May Lake in Yosemite and was perfect. ~1000 foot gain and only 1 1/4 miles... shorter than you want, but If he felt up for it, we would have gone to a "private lake" - Raisin Lake - another mile or so further. But kids are kids and once he saw this grand lake, he wanted to walk no more. Yes, he had the ability, but the gear/backpack on him, plus the walk, altitude and more... it was best we left this trip with smiles. He had a grand time and remembers every detail perfectly. Gave us hours of time to just hang by the lake and have fun. May Lake was also first time backpacking trip for my 7 year old daughter year prior and then she worked up to Cathedral Lakes last summer, which was about 5 miles in/out. She def could have done more, but in my view less is more w/ these things.
Timo_the_Osprey
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Timo_the_Osprey »

Weaver Lake is a very short hike. Good fishing and a beautiful area. Gets busy, of course, since it's the most accessible backcountry lake in the SEKI area. It's where my son caught his first trout.

Don't park at Big Meadows. There's a shortcut that save about 1.5 miles of hiking! As you pass by Big Meadows campground, the road splits. Go right, taking you to the south side of Big Meadows Creek
. Then take the first road on the right, road 14S16, to Fox Meadow.
 Take another left at the next road junction to stay on road 14S16.
Near the end of the road is the trail.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by looks easy from here »

Food! You're moving at a 4 year old's pace, so you can afford an extra couple pounds to bring something comforting that they like for dinner and breakfast. I like to do something like premake some bolognase and freeze it. By the time we get to camp it's mostly defrosted and ready to reheat. Premade french toast also keeps for 3+ days. Also a great time for special snacks. Pretty much the only time my 7 year old gets candy bars is when we go backpacking. The promise of splitting a Twix is excellent motivation to make it another quarter mile when energy starts to flag.

Re: distance, in my experience dayhike miles don't translate 1:1 with backpacking miles. Dayhiking you know you're going to get to have dinner at home and sleep in a real bed, so you can push it. Backpacking you want them to have time and energy to explore the campsite, help set up the tent and campfire, play some games, etc. Related, I try to avoid stacking a long drive and a long hike on the same day.

Fwiw I started my oldest backpacking at 3, and my 3 1/2 year old is going on her first backpacking trip later this year.