New Sierra Backpacker - April/May Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: New Sierra Backpacker - April/May Suggestions

Post by TxAggie »

Quick question: looking at the Yosemite/NOAA weather conditions at Hetch Hetchy, it’s saying overnight lows in the mid 40’s. Is that for the damn? How much lower should I expect up around Laurel Lake for the overnight lows? I have plenty of warm gear, but obviously if I can get by with carrying less that would be a big plus.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

TxAggie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:34 pm Quick question: looking at the Yosemite/NOAA weather conditions at Hetch Hetchy, it’s saying overnight lows in the mid 40’s. Is that for the damn? How much lower should I expect up around Laurel Lake for the overnight lows? I have plenty of warm gear, but obviously if I can get by with carrying less that would be a big plus.
The following link explains the effect elevation has on temperature. Armed with this knowledge, you can calculate the effect for this trip and any future trip you take.
https://www.mtnscoop.com/features/tempe ... 00%20feet.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just looked at NWS forecast 6480 elevation- Laurel Lake area. Night Lows: Wed-37, Thurs 34, Fri 42, Sat 40, Sun 43, Mon 39 20%chance showers.

I am going to Yosemite tomorrow and if I get there in time will start hiking, otherwise early tomorrow. Hope I can do North Rim Traverse. The elevations I will be at are bit higher so it will be a bit colder at night.

In general, micro-climates in specific locations can be 5-10 degrees different from the general area of the forecast. At Laurel Lake camping it is easy to find nice campsites in deep timber near the shore. The timber will protect you from extreme night lows, but also delays morning sun, so highs can be less than forecast.

Google NWS, Western Region, zoom in on the map and find Hetch Hetchy. Laurel Lake is north of it, a round lake, but not labeled. Click on the lake. The forecast is for the block shown. The forecast shown includes elevation (the average elevation of the block). In areas of with lot of elevation differences you have to play around a bit- move a bit one way and another until the elevation of the forecast block is similar to where you want. Laurel Lake is 6490; the forecast block I got was 6480-- so pretty close. Also match slopes; for example, if your desired location is on a south slope, the block should also have the same orientation.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Another way to estimate temperature is simply to go the the National Weather Service and find your approximate location for a campsite on their topographic map, then check the temps and weather for the next week. It takes elevation into account. Of course, the further out you go the less reliable it is.

For example, here is the forecast for Boundary Lake, a little north of Hetch Hetchy. It is at 7500 and it predicts a high on Wednesday of 47 degrees.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 0059665274

Here is the forecast for the dam at Hetch Hetchy. It is at 3700 and it predicts a high on Wednesday of 68 degrees.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 1922664569

That is not quite 3800 feet difference and 21 degrees of difference, pretty close to the 5.4 degree drop per 1000 feet that many guides say.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Thank you, everyone. The Ranger had told me about thenNWS site for Hetch Hetchy, but I didn’t realize you could click on the map to move the forecast area. Much appreciated!
Gogd, thank you for the link, that will be very helpful for future trips.
I fly out tomorrow morning, excited to see my daughter again and to be able to take her on this trip with me. Thank you all for the great advice over the past few months. I’ll be sure and post a trip report when I get back.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Final question: Laurel Lake vs Lake Vernon, is it worth the extra distance to get to Vernon?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

TxAggie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:36 am Final question: Laurel Lake vs Lake Vernon, is it worth the extra distance to get to Vernon?
In my opinion Vernon is very beautiful and Laurel is somewhat ordinary. The nicest features of Vernon are the two inlet streams and the outlet stream--all three cascading and sluicing over long distances of granite. During runoff in the spring, however, Vernon is flooded and it is difficult to get through the flooded brush to its actual shoreline. Most of the flat area east of Vernon becomes a marsh and so one must stick to higher ground, and Falls Creeks is a slow moving river/lake in the flat areas. Meanwhile, at the western outlet end of Vernon is a bridge over the outlet, but at peak runoff both ends of that can be flooded and people have died trying to cross through the deceptively swift and deep current that lies in front of the bridge. If the bridge is surrounded just stick to the north side, follow the trail to the snow cabin, and explore Falls Creek as it comes into the Vernon valley through granite. You can get quite high up, and as you climb the creek you will be rewarded with roaring water and ever more majestic views.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Perfect, thank you. That pretty much describes what I was expecting about the eastern side based on the maps and imagery. I was planning on camping on the north side anyhow. I didn’t know about the cabin, I’m guessing that is what is marked as a camping area on one of the maps.

Thank you for the insight.

kpeter wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:46 pm
TxAggie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:36 am Final question: Laurel Lake vs Lake Vernon, is it worth the extra distance to get to Vernon?
In my opinion Vernon is very beautiful and Laurel is somewhat ordinary. The nicest features of Vernon are the two inlet streams and the outlet stream--all three cascading and sluicing over long distances of granite. During runoff in the spring, however, Vernon is flooded and it is difficult to get through the flooded brush to its actual shoreline. Most of the flat area east of Vernon becomes a marsh and so one must stick to higher ground, and Falls Creeks is a slow moving river/lake in the flat areas. Meanwhile, at the western outlet end of Vernon is a bridge over the outlet, but at peak runoff both ends of that can be flooded and people have died trying to cross through the deceptively swift and deep current that lies in front of the bridge. If the bridge is surrounded just stick to the north side, follow the trail to the snow cabin, and explore Falls Creek as it comes into the Vernon valley through granite. You can get quite high up, and as you climb the creek you will be rewarded with roaring water and ever more majestic views.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

There is overused camping at the footbridge, more camping on the Northwestern shore, lots of camping on the slabs SW of the lake if the bridge is open, and of course more private camping further up and away from the lake. I even found some deep forest fisherman's camps along Falls Creek east of the snow cabin.

There is a route from Vernon up to Morraine Ridge that is discussed in other threads if you are interested. Lots of slab walking.

When you first come down into Vernon from the direction of Beehive you will see the white water of Branigan Creek across the lake. The white water of Falls Creek is hidden from view from there.

Be aware that early season at Vernon is bear season. They come out of hibernation and patrol the area for food and I have never failed to see bears on any spring trip to Vernon. I observed one old cinnamon bear "inspecting" numerous bear canisters. You will definitely want to practice your best bear hygiene.

Here is my trip report from a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19504&hilit=vernon

Keep in mind that if coming from Laurel you will have to cross Frog Creek. In 2019 early June it was impassable at the Beehive crossing, although some people said it was safer at the most northerly crossing--the trail that goes to the north shore of Laurel. I can't verify that since I didn't see it. And of course I don't know what runoff will be like when you get there.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by TxAggie »

Thank you all for the great information. I’m at the airport heading back to the East Coast and will post a trip report soon. Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated and contributed to an amazing trip.