Mineral King during the winter closures

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mineral King during the winter closures

Post by Lenier »

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find solid answers for online.

1) Can one legally camp at Cold Springs before the gate has opened?

2) I've heard the gate at Lookout Point, some 10 miles up from the 198 and 7 miles west of Atwell Mill, is closed during parts of the winter. Is there truth to this?

Thanks for any input!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King during the winter closures

Post by Shawn »

Not sure about #1

As for #2, yes. Here is part of an email I received a few days ago:
"According to Dave Fox, Sequoia District Ranger, "barring any catastrophes" the Mineral King Road gates and West Mineral King / Cold Springs Campground water systems will be open at the usually scheduled day of the Wednesday prior to Memorial Day. This year, that date is May 25, 2022."
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

That doesn't distinguish between the two gates, however.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JayOtheMountains »

RE: #1 - Lots of research has been done for this answer.

As long as you approach Cold Springs CG in an approved manner (Foot, horseback, or allowed mechanized travel* on the road) you can camp in the campground if the gate(s) are closed and locked.

You're going to want to get a back country permit from the Foothills Visitor Center when the gate(s) are locked. Ask about the combo for the first gate. They wont' get you the combo for the second gate.

*Allowed travel... - if you have property you can drive IAW Mineral King homeowners rules depending on NPS assessment of the road. Otherwise, Bicycles are allowed on the road only, and foot or horseback otherwise.

(Been planning a winter/spring foray into there for some time) As we near spring opening, the road will get some maintenance/clearing so plan accordingly, as hiking though construction/clearing zones doesn't sound fun at all.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Thanks Jay, I appreciate that. That was the conclusion I had come to from various sources online, but having someone else who's clearly found some better sources back me up is great.

Shawn, I did finally find on the SEKI website that the closure gate is indeed at Lookout Point these days. The website says they won't open the Lookout Point Gate until May 25 :(

Can't help but feel that's a bit ridiculous to close it that far down, but whatever, that's their prerogative.

Jay, perhaps next winter we can put together a HST winter meetup in Mineral King. I know it's not a high payoff area for that much walking, but it's been a dream of mine for some years to camp in the valley in winter.