Florence Lake Ferry Running This Year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Florence Lake Ferry Running This Year?

Post by webdweeb »

I've been looking at a route from Florence Lake north to Sally Keyes and Marie Lakes and wondered if anyone here was aware of the status of the Florence Lake ferry for this summer. I am not sure if the ferry was running last year, and the Florence Lake web site doesn't have much info, so any "ferry beta" would be much appreciated.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Florence Lake Ferry Running This Year?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I cannot answer your question about ferry running this year, but I have walked the trail on the SW side of the lake. It takes about 2 hours (2.6 mi. 500 feet gain and loss) to get to "Boulder Creek CG", which is really not much of a campground but just a location south of the bridge and has some nice camping. After crossing the bridge, the trail goes up about half a mile and 200, then intersects the trail about the same distance and elevation gain as if you were to enter from the ferry boat dock. Last I checked the ferry ride is quite expensive. Just let you know that if the ferry is not running or you miss the boat, the walk is not that bad. Between the cost and restricted operating hours, the ferry never worked out very well for me.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Florence Lake Ferry Running This Year?

Post by webdweeb »

Thanks Wandering, as always your suggestions are very useful! Our group's destination is either Marie Lake ot Sally Keyes Lake, so we decided to switch to Bear Creek Diversion as the jumping off point and do an out and back from there. Seems like there is a lot to see in the area near Marie Lake-good fishing and tons of other lakes to explore, so we are considering making a base camp at one of the lakes to give us more time for those activities. Anyway, thanks again for the help!