Sequoia trail confusion

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sequoia trail confusion

Post by westmatt »

While I continue my so-far disappointing quest for a Paiute Pass permit, I am contemplating some other options, including Sequoia - going to Alta Meadow, then to Moose Lake, and then exploring the Tablelands. With Alta permits being reservable online, and the Lakes Trail only via walkup, and assuming access is even possible this year after the fires, is there a good reason to choose one over the other?

thanks,
-Matt
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sequoia trail confusion

Post by Flamingo »

is there a good reason to choose one over the other?
Hi westmatt, both routes are spectacular for different reasons. Although they're comparable in terms of mileage and elevation, if you're going to Moose, the Alta route is slightly shorter, like half mile and 200' less than the Lakes route. Further, the Alta route will melt-out its snow faster than the Lakes route, due to south-facing versus north-facing slopes.

I think the Lakes route is great for beginner backpackers because it leads to a chain of lakes with A+ campsites and nearby water. On the other hand, along the Alta route, the only campsites with reliable water are Mehrten Meadow and Alta Meadow (which is a favorite).

If you're visiting the tablelands, why not make it a loop? ..enter via Alta and exit via Lakes, or vice versa.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Last year I reserved an Alta permit. When I arrived day before, a note on the wall said Alta water sources had dried up. The ranger at Grant Grove said I could get a walk-in permit for Lakes Trail down at Giant Forest Museum (the ranger station at Lodgepole is under construction and closed this year). I arrived at 7AM, two people were in front of me. The ranger said I could get a "pass through" permit or a permit for camping at a specific lake (which would also allow passing through). To cover all uncertainties, I got the latter. There were no charges for my permit change. SEKI rangers have been very helpful and flexible and willing to help me solve any problems with permits.

The creek up in Tablelands was dry and when water appeared it was inky black and looked terrible. I continued to the first lake, which probably was as far Moose Lake if I had kept my Alta permit. But, the Lakes trail permit had plenty of water where I could have camped down at a lake before I got to Tablelands. This allowed me to carry less water and I filled up before going into Tablelands.

Lakes Trail is pretty, and the branch that goes by Watchtower is stunning. The climb up into the Tablelands from the Ranger Station is cliffy. Early season the creeks up there are really running and hard to cross; this last fall they were gone! Either trailhead, if going late season, plan to camp at an actual lake or tarn.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I think the fact that the Alta Meadows permit is reservable, and Lakes Trail is not, is a good reason to plan on the former.

My two trips to Tablelands both began on the Alta Meadows trail. I like this trail. After 2.5 miles hiking up through the forest, with wildflowers in season, you pop out at Panther Gap and then continue over open terrain with great views of the Great Western Divide. Mehrten Meadow is in a viewless hole, but Alta Meadow has a spectacular view of the Great Western Divide peaks. We camped on the edge of the forest on the broad ridge just to the south as you reach the upper edge of the meadow. We got water from the mapped stream that comes down off Tharps Rock about 100 yards back on the trail. Wandering Daisy points out that the creeks by Alta Meadows could be dry in late season.

Our first trip made a loop to Moose Lake, then to Lonely Lake, then back to the lake 11,200+ perched above Big Bird Lake, then down past Table Meadows and along the Marble Fork to Pear Lake and back on the Lakes Trail. On our second trip, we did a bigger loop first to Moose Lake, then to Lake 10559 and continuing close to the Kings Kaweah Divide to a pass that drops into the head of Crowley Canyon, then past Crescent and Beville Lakes to the Silliman Pass trail, which we took west over the pass, past Twin Lakes, and down to Lodgepole. You can hike from Lodgepole back up to Wolverton on trail, but we punted and took the free shuttle and got the driver to let us off on Wolverton Road, which we walked back to the trailhead.

I thought the Tablelands was quite beautiful with little tarns and meadows in the granite expanse and easy to get around cross-country. We had blue sky weather. I wouldn't want to be up there during thunderstorms - it is completely exposed.

-Phil
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I really appreciate the input, all - I did finally get my permit this morning, so I will file this under "intel for next year!" If it's a group we may stick to the Tablelands, and if it ends up being just me, I may venture farther - I really want to see Deadman Canyon/Cloud Canyon before I lose the physical ability to do it.

-Matt
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

You can easily get from the Tablelands over to Deadman Canyon by first going over Pterodactyl Pass to Lonely Lake and then over Horn Col and contour over to the Elizabeth Pass trail. Take the trail down into Deadman Canyon. Then you can go cross-country up to Big Bird Lake and back up to the Tablelands at lake 11,200+.
-Phil
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks Phil - you're giving me all kinds of ideas now!
maxr22
Topix Acquainted

Post by maxr22 »

Hi Matt, looks like you are doing Piute pass. I went there last Summer. To help you out with your planning, here is a picture of Goethe lake. Quite nice color and requires some light scrambling to get to.
goethe.jpg
So far what are you thinking for your trip?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I was finally able to get a permit, so the plan at the moment is a lollipop loop, with nights 1 and 2 in Humphrey's Basin, then over Carol Col to Elba Lake for night 3, night 4 at Merriam Lake, night 5 at Lower Honeymoon Lake, night 6 at Muriel Lake, then out. Now I'm thinking we need to do a day hike to Goethe!

-Matt