Road tripping around Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RGTPSB
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Road tripping around Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes

Post by RGTPSB »

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing a short road trip later this week around the Eastern Sierra, starting out by heading to Truckee, going south to Mammoth Lakes, and then going back up to South Lake Tahoe. The plan was to spend one day skiing and the other two days hiking. I know, however, that at this time of the year, higher elevation trails are filled with snow, and I'm not sure the rest of my party is interested in snowshoeing.

Does anyone have lower-elevation or lower-snowpack trails they might recommend along this route? Any general comments on the state of snow in the Sierra this year? Thanks all.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Re: Road tripping around Tahoe/Mammoth Lakes

Post by GGC23 »

The state of snow in the Sierra is very, very sad this year. It dumped like crazy in December of last year and then basically hasn't snowed since. But you're correct that higher elevation trails will still be snow covered to the point where skis / snowshoes and winter hiking experience are necessary. If you want to hike, at this time of year, I would recommend exploring the mountains east of Hwy 395. Anything east of the highway gets drastically less snow than the Sierras. If you're willing to venture further south toward Bishop and Big Pine, I just went for a great hike in the White Mountains last weekend. Conditions were ideal, with only a few small snow patches and some wildflowers beginning to pop up.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here in SLT it's more like dirty ice than snow at this point....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

The Alert Wildfire webcam at DL Bliss State Park on the west shore of Tahoe (https://www.alertwildfire.org/region/ta ... is-Emerald) makes the east shore look pretty snow free in the lower elevations. One hike that usually opens up early here is the Tunnel Creek dirt road (closed - now a trail) up to the Flume Trail. Some great views over the lake is less than one mile. Higher up near the Flume Trail junction you will probably hit more snow. The East Side trail right along the shore of Lake Tahoe north of Sand Harbor is a really nice walk looking out across the lake.

You might also try the trails up the canyons on the east side of the Carson Range southwest from Reno. They are in the rain shadow looking out to the desert and get much less precipitation. We have done Hunter Creek just outside Reno (trailhead at 5000 feet) in early spring - although the creek crossing right away can be difficult. Further south you have Thomas Creek and Whites Creek trails starting at 6000 to 7000 feet - I have not personally done those.

-Phil