GCT TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: GCT TR

Post by Wandering Daisy »

These are the Tuolumne Pass tarns. Is that what you are asking about? Here are two photos. South Fork of Cathedral Creek had plenty of water and nice meadows too. There is a little arm of SF Cathedral just over the pass about quarter to half mile. The main creek is about another 2 miles down the trail.

According to the Tioga Road opening report, it opened May 7 (about 45% snow year). My photos of the start are June 5. The road must have been temporarily closed after the official opening due to a late snowstorm. This happens often. Cannot say whether these tarns would have water this year at your trip dates. The late storms may have contributed to the tarns still having water.
3192_TuolumnePass_tarn_small.jpg
3194_TuolumnePass_pond_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by webdweeb »

WD, thanks for the photos, those are the tarns I was referring to. AFAIK, there is no first day limitation for a Murphy Creek permit (sorry for the abbreviation!) if traveling toward Ten Lakes, so I think I can go as far as I want. SF of Cathedral Creek also sounds like a possible stop, so I will fold that into my route assessments. On the subject of Cathedral Creek, the Murphy Creek trail crosses the main fork (north?) enroute to McGee Lake, so I'm wondering if there are any spots near the creek suitable for a first night's stop (if I stick with my original plan). One benefit of the short hike to Polly Dome Lakes is that I could easily make camp if I arrive late afternoon after a long drive from LA, so no need for an overnight in a campground, although being that close to Tioga Road means it might be as crowded.

Balzaccom, a belated thanks for your trip report, as well as the useful info on your blog for this and other routes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think there is a 4-mile no-camping zone along Tioga Pass Road. Not sure if Poly Dome Lakes are far enough to be legal.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

The map I downloaded from the conservancy email has an arrow at the point where camping is allowed-it looks to be about 2 miles from the trailhead, so Polly Dome Lakes beyond that arrow. This map looks like the one I downloaded awhile ago, so it is certainly possible that it is now out of date, but since there is no other info, I will assume it is still accurate. I've seen a 4 mile restriction from Tuolumne Meadows but not from Tioga Road, so I will scour the net and see if Tioga also has that limitation. The conservancy person I spoke with about the MC restriction actually suggested Polly Dome Lakes as a possible alternative to McGee Lake, along with a few places between Polly Dome Lakes and McGee Lake. Having said that, I am not very enthusiastic about camping so close to the road, since it increases the likelihood of more company/less privacy for that first night's camp.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:00 am I think there is a 4-mile no-camping zone along Tioga Pass Road. Not sure if Poly Dome Lakes are far enough to be legal.
Presumably, the 4 mile rule means “trail miles”, as even the Glen Aulin HSC is only a bit over 2 “straight line” miles from the road. Polly (Poly ?) Dome Lakes are around 2.5 “trail” miles from the Murphy Creek TH; need to go to about a mile short of the trail crossing at Cathedral Creek to hit 4 miles.

Edit: my comment assumed the 4-mile minimum was correct; if not, just ignore me.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

From the NPS web page:
“You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. The trailheads map shows minimum legal camping distances for each trail (beyond the arrows).”

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf

… so YES, Polly Dome Lakes are well beyond the legal minimum distance.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

grampy wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:44 pm From the NPS web page:
“You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. The trailheads map shows minimum legal camping distances for each trail (beyond the arrows).”

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf

… so YES, Polly Dome Lakes are well beyond the legal minimum distance.
In fact, I have had those lakes suggested to me by a ranger as an appropriate campsite. Note that there are no fish in Polly Dome Lakes...but they are a nice quiet place for an overnight--particularly with younger kids who can't hike far.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife, son (when he was 6 years old), and I camped at the largest of the Polly Dome Lakes (8714) in 1989. At that time there was a use trail off the Murphy Creek Trail that went to the lake. Since it was late season (Columbus Day weekend), we had the place to ourselves except for a couple of day hikers the second day. It was wonderful.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com