An expression of gratitude for this community

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

An expression of gratitude for this community

Post by potatopants »

I'm going to be honest, I'm a lazy member of this community who keeps saying she's going to give back by writing some trip reports... that never get written.

But I have been thinking about what an awesome community this is, and I at least wanted to take a moment to express my thanks.

As a Chicago-based backpacker who ends up in the Sierra once a year after falling head over heels with the area in 2010, my opportunity to spend time there is so limited, and I'm not getting younger despite my best efforts. So I feel immense pressure to make the most of every precious trip.

I have gotten great advice on routes and conditions here, first as a lurker and then as a member once I got to the point where I was starting to do solo adventures. It never fails to amaze me how detailed and thoughtful people are when they give this advice. Generous with their time and knowledge, even for a complete stranger who lives 2000 miles away. Wow. It is such a kindness. Thank you.

Though I'd love to live closer some day, at least in the meantime, I can be there in spirit with planning trips, reading reports, and enjoying the conversation on this board. It means a lot.

Special shout outs to Wandering Daisy, Balcazomm, and Wild Hiker, though there are so many who've helped me shape really wonderful trips over these last handful of years. I'd love to buy you all a beer some time. :) And kudos to all the fine members of this community for being awesome.

And I promise to write some trip reports. :)
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: An expression of gratitude for this community

Post by wildhiker »

And thanks to you, and all the others in our community, who are serious hikers and backpackers who are willing to ask for and accept advice! You make old farts like me feel useful!

-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

If you don't ask questions, we don't get to provide answers...nor do we get to see the answers that others provide. it's all part of the ecosystem here, and Maverick deserves a lot of the credit!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Yes, Maverick of course, how could I not mention?! So many that deserve a shout out for being so generous.