Best Spot to Camp in Evolution Canyon?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FlyingHighAgain
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best Spot to Camp in Evolution Canyon?

Post by FlyingHighAgain »

Which is a better place to camp, Evolution lake or Wanda lake? I'll be passing through during the last week in June.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Best Spot to Camp in Evolution Canyon?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Evolution Lake is scenic but also very polluted and over-used. If you can find a tent site off the trail and a running water source, then OK and the best choice in poor weather. Wanda Lake is windy and exposed, above timber. It is however very scenic and large enough to find a site away from the crowds. I like Sapphire Lake with view of Huxley, near the east side inlet. It can be wet and buggy early season. If it is dry this year like last year, end of June may be OK. A day-hike to the upper lakes is really scenic and a climb of the SW ridge of Fisk is really fun. If the weather is good any of the campsites are scenic and it would be a matter of where you want or need to be located. If you have time to spare, there are tons of really great day-hikes. I have also done a side-trip to Lake 11594 below Mt. Spencer and it is also very scenic. If you carve out a layover day you would really enjoy it.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best Spot to Camp in Evolution Canyon?

Post by Gogd »

It is almost a crime to not reserve a zero day, while camped anywhere in Evolution Basin. You can randomly pick a slope and just go for it. It won't matter if you get stymied mid-route, the views from the flanks of most of these formations are awesome. A lazy man's summit would be Peak 11576, just west of Evolution Lake. Takes only a few hours up & down. Amazing 360⁰ views for a nominal effort. Daisy's pick for day hiking the higher basins SE of Sapphire Lake is excellent for a full day of touring alpine geography.

There are a couple of spots for a small camp on the SE end of Evolution Lake, above the trail, in the general vicinity of the inlet. You will need to drop pack and scout them out, however, as they are not apparent from the trail. There is also an inlet to Evolution Lake that drains the un-named Lake just NW of Mt. Spencer that is safe for drinking, and it should still be running in June, despite the low snow year we are having. This site would be considered a great view almost anywhere else, but in Evolution Basin it is relatively sundry. I have also found a couple of spots scouring the west shoreline of Evolution Lake. No one camps there, so they got that going for them, but they are small, hard to find and Spartan. Camping south of Sapphire will afford an earlier morning sun into camp. Locations along the south side of Wanda also have early morning sun, and the lake provides that "top of the world" vibe for those who like to camp under Big Skies. But the wind can really blast Wanda, making it feel significantly cooler than the lower lakes, regardless of only a slight elevation gain.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.