East of the Eastern Sierra- Feb 11-13, 2022

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

This trip began when I bailed out of a Sierra snowshoe route due to over-deep and hard crusted snow.  Tolerable for me, but hell for my dog friend Bearzy.  I've toyed with the idea of creating snowshoes for dog paws, but he dislikes even the soft new dog booties I tried on him this trip, so I don't think it would work.  Anyhow, we tried to turn our misfortune into another sort of adventure; so after considering a wide range of possible trips, I decided to head into Nevada's Basin and Range province.  

100_0375.JPG
Waking up to scenes like this one from the Mono Basin has taught me that it is also beautiful to spend time gazing up at mountain ranges from the plains or valleys, and sometimes the high desert can give the same experience of quiet wilderness that I feel inside the range.

Our original goal was to enjoy the views on both sides of the White Mountains, and then keep going east and northeast till we reached the fabled beauty of the Ruby Mountains.  After spending some time hiking around in the snowy rocks on the west side of the Whites, and the sandy high desert scrub land on the east side of the range, we reached the colorful desert landscape around the town of Tonopah.  Here I obtained a Nevada map and considered the long miles to reach the Rubys.  From Bear's perspective this was too many car miles for too few days.  I decided to save the Ruby Mts. for our long summer road-trip to Vermont. I found a shorter circle we could make, up to Walker Lake (which is the final destination of West Walker Creek of Leavitt Meadows), and then back to Mono Lake.  
We reached Walker Lake in the afternoon, and it was so still that there were reflections on all sides of the big lake.  I met a local who told me that her neighbor sees the Bighorn sheep almost every morning at dawn, drinking at the lakeside.  I saw some sheep sign, but that was all.  Bearzy and I spent a nice afternoon walking along a very different lake margin compared to the icy brilliance of frozen Ruby Lake in the Sierra.  Walker Lake was smooth liquid water, and Bearzy swam for sticks, and I collected enough driftwood for a nice fire.  We left in the predawn in hopes of seeing sunrise on the eastern Sierra, and we got our wish.  Mono Lake is just 70 miles from Walker Lake.  The new trip we created turned out just fine after all.

100_0456.JPG
After opting out of our Sierra trip, we found ourselves in a beautiful stretch of High Desert. We traded Lodgepole and Whitebark pines for Juniper-Pinyon forest, and the Great Basin Sage scrub. The orange colored rock around us was rhyolite.

100_0481.JPG
It was still snowy and cold there, but we weren't sinking in it anymore. We hiked in just a quarter mile from a snow and dirt road off Hwy. 120, and stuck our tent in the sage-- upper left.

100_0472.JPG
We scrambled up a granite rock hill for the sunset; here we are looking east to the White Mts.

100_0469.JPG
From the same hill we looked back westward at the Sierra peaks from Mammoth to the Minarets, to Ritter and Banner, and maybe the next big peak is Lyell?

100_0474.JPG
Boundary Peak on the Nevada border, far left.

100_0491.JPG
The weathered granite glowed in the morning light. The peaks of Convict and McGee Creeks in the background.

100_0504.JPG
The Sierra again, with Mt. Tom on the left, then Pine Creek- Wheeler Crest- Rock Creek, and then I'm not sure what that big white wall is on the far right.

100_0502.JPG
We found the car pretty iced up, and barely managed to drive it back out of the snow.

100_0506.JPG
On the way to Benton we crossed this small range of ancient granite. It looked like Alabama Hills set in a forest.

100_0507.JPG

100_0513.JPG
West of Benton Hot Springs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_0517.JPG
Bear was loving the soft dirt. The eastern slope of the White Mountains is our new background, with Boundary Peak now on the right.

100_0521.JPG
Pointing at some rodent.

100_0525.JPG
Dig, dig, dig!

100_0526.JPG
Nothing.

100_0527.JPG
This is an abandoned junction on the way to Tonopah. The road we're now on is the combined Highways 6 and 95.

100_0530.JPG
Colorful desert west of Tonopah.

100_0532.JPG
We've been in and out of the the brewery, and the bookstore of Tonopah, and this was our first view of Walker Lake.

100_0533.JPG

100_0542.JPG

100_0540.JPG
Look at the difference between the two lakes Bearzy and I hiked around on this trip-- salty Walker Lake above, and icy Ruby Lake below:

100_0405.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_0546.JPG
Leaving Nevada at dawn.

100_0562.JPG
Heading toward Mono Lake on Hwy. 167.

100_0563.JPG
We're aimed right at Lundy Canyon.

100_0567.JPG
We found this interesting landmark on the side of Hwy. 167. I guess it was worth a million bucks to freight logs to Bodie, rather than hauling them with mules and bullocks. Seems like there is better wood to be had in Buckeye Canyon, but maybe that would be a harder route to build?

100_0573.JPG
This plaque is fixed to the side of the ore cart.

100_0577.JPG
Mono Lake in the distance, dried Rabbit brush flowers everywhere! What a colorful plant, with its bluish stems, and yellow, then golden flowers.

100_0585.JPG
The Sawtooth Ridge back of Bridgeport is a fine last sight of the High Sierra. The next fine sight was the Coachwhip Cafe, north of the town of Walker, where we had lunch and played with our new High Sierra friends, including the dog Banjo. East of the Eastern Sierra is a pretty nice place to be.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: East of the Eastern Sierra- Feb 11-13, 2022

Post by rlown »

Bearzy has a great life! Nice report!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: East of the Eastern Sierra- Feb 11-13, 2022

Post by balzaccom »

Really nice, Harlan. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to exploring that area a bit more.

The Ruby Mts are well worth the wait, BTW...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963