All photos on old trip reports do not show up

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

All photos on old trip reports do not show up

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been looking at my old trip reports and the photos show up for a while and then only the photo name shows up. I can click on the photo name and it slowly loads. Do you think it is my computer (quite old and RAM problems?) or is there a limit set by HST site? Or do I just have to give it time?

These are photos I loaded within the HST system, not linked photos. I am aware that my old reports with Photobucket no longer show up.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: All photos on old trip reports do not show up

Post by copeg »

Can you post a link or two to some pages/threads that demonstrate the issue? I quickly looked but couldn't find an example
Thanks
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I think you were using Photobucket (?) and they had that period where they told users they had to fork over a bunch of money (I think it was $200/year) or they would lose their photos. I think they eventually backtracked but I'm not sure what that means for users now. I remember I posted once here on a browser extension that would allow for the Photobucket photos to still show up on accounts that didn't pay but It's been so long that I don't recall what it was or even if it would still work.

EDIT: oops, just saw the part where you mentioned that these are not linked photos, so ignore the above.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21866

I have looked at my most recent trip reports, and photos in this one start to be links about half-way through. It seems to happen after I look at about 4 reports. I am also working on some very large Excel files and I may just have to shut down and re-boot to get rid of a lot of temporary storage. I suspect it is my computer. I am also having overlapping graphics when I have the computer on more than 2-3 hours. Something may be going haywire. I am sort of limping along right now. Should take it in and get it fixed.

I just wanted to know if there is some limit HST puts on photos showing up.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Daisy,

The same thing happened to me when I went through the TR you linked, but the photos all returned when I hit the
"refresh" key. I've recently begun to experience what you describe above, and the refresh key seems to work. This is easier than re-booting.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
copeg

Post by copeg »

I see what you mean. I suspect the cause may be our recent switch over to https (caused by a combination of browser cache and mixed content - eg browsers restrict http content being loaded into https pages). Harlen's advice worked for me and it's an easy thing to try. I will also clear any server side cache's I can find.