Questions re: North Lake/South Lake Loop starting May 29 or June 5, 2022

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
p1z4rr0
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Questions re: North Lake/South Lake Loop starting May 29 or June 5, 2022

Post by p1z4rr0 »

BACKGROUND INFO

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
level 2.5-3.5

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
Main questions are about
Mountain Passes and Snow travel

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

When is your trip?

North Lake/ South Lake Loop trail

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?

6 days/5 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?

8-15 depending on elevation gain

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?

I have hiked at elevation. No altitude sickness but got headache.

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before.

I have not hiked in the Sierra Nevada before. I have done the Big Bear Lakes and Mt. San Jacinto area in socal.

QUESTIONS

Am I overly ambitious trying to tackle this trail in late May or early June. I understand snowpack cannot be predicted that far out, but has anyone done this hike, or similar mountain passes, during this time of year?

My main concern are Piute Pass, Muir Pass, and Bishop Pass in the snow with no identifiable trails. Will i need an ice axe? I usually hike with two poles. any issues with sun cups, post holing.

Are these passes considered dangerous to cross this time of year, or is there a certain level of snow pack that I should watch for, before the passes are considered dangerous?

I am not experienced at doing mountain passes. I am experienced in being in the snow, being in the cold. My questions are regarding the technical side of doing these mountain passes in the snow?

Avalanche danger of hitting these passes that time of year? or what level of snow pack does that start? I plan to do the passes in the morning, for what that is worth.

I understand this is a well travelled route, so maybe I am over thinking things, but I want to know if my plans are just rediculous or if it is doable.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Questions re: North Lake/South Lake Loop starting May 29 or June 5, 2022

Post by c9h13no3 »

You asked 6 questions about this route. You could get the skills to be able to answer these questions for yourself by late May or June, but if you have that many questions about a route, it may be a stretch for your current abilities.

That time period is smack in the shoulder season. It could be hiking on mostly dry ground, or a ski tour. It will probably be something in between.

I'll add one more thing to your list of concerns: river & creek crossings.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

It is pretty safe to assume that all three passes will have had enough travel before you get there that if you cant see trail you will see plenty of tracks. Personally i do not think an ice axe would be needed. Poles will help, and microspikes or similar for traction would be a wise move. None of the three are reaaly technical in any way. Piute is very mellow. The only part of the route to Piute that is tricky in the snow is below Loch Leven and should be pretty thoroughly melted out by then unless we get a monster March and April.Muir is pretty mellow on both sides. Bishop hs some steep slope on the east where there are switchbacks, but as I said, you should have good tracks to follow. What i would be thinking about is stream crossings, because everything is going to be running high. If you don't have a lot of experience with that sort of thing, there are some good threads on here about just that. And bring the bug juice and headnet! Have a great trip!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

PCT hikers walk this route early season. It may be informative to look at their journals. 2011 was a high snow year and that would give you an idea of snowy, high-water conditions, at least on the PCT. Last year as well as 2014 and 2015 were low snow years. East side of Bishop Pass has switchbacks down a very steep slope. You have to detour the actual trail if there is snow. East side of Lemark Col can also have a snowfield early season. The PCT hikers seem to have problems with post-holing over Muir Pass. If there are snow patches on the west side of Lemark Col, you may have trouble finding the pass itself. It is not obvious. You could get into serious trouble if you went over the wrong pass.

If going S-N, Bishop Pass is very uncomfortable for you, then just hike around the lakes east of the pass. If you get over Bishop Pass but are freaked out, then you can stay in Dusy Basin (I think there is a 2-night limit). There is plenty to do if you decide to not continue. If going N-S, and you get over Lemark and decide not to finish, there are lots of wonderful lakes to explore and visit on Darwin Bench and Evolution Lakes. If Lemark Col is too much, then you have fewer options. But there is a lot of good day-hiking from South Lake and Sabrina or North Lake so no matter what, you will have plenty of options. If you cannot get into a campground, there are dispersed campsites down the road closer to Bishop. County campgrounds, and BLM too. I would say, go for it, be conservative and safe, and back off if needed. You will still have a fun time.

Edit- sorry I thought you were considering Lemark Col. Not Piute Pass. River crossings are more of a problem if staying on the trails and go out Piute Pass.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

You won’t need an ice axe, but trekkng poles will be a necessity. If you can leave on June 5 versus May 29, that could help a lot unless we get a very snowy spring, in which case it will be more a ski tour. I agree with what Paul said, which is the creek crossings will be the most difficult and dangerous aspect of the trip. If you are beginning at North Lake, than Piute Creek will be the first possibly difficult one. Both East and West Pinnacles Creek will probably require a short wade and getting your feet wet.

Probably the most difficult one will be Evolution Creek. That early in the season, I would advise not doing the standard crossing on the JMT, but rather the trail that goes more east and crosses Evolution Creek where the current is not strong. But that’s a deep crossing and requires real care.

Also the stepping stone crossing at the far end of Evolution Lake can be pretty nasty. The stepping stones may be under water and so not usable.

Following the actual trail above Sapphire Lake and up to Muir Pass may be difficult. I advise navigating by using the beehive shaped Muir Hut at the top of the pass as your goal. The section down to Helen Lake is where you might posthole a lot. I went over it once where it was waist deep snow. The trail below Helen Lake may be under water in places and the crossing of the river will probably be best if you don’t strictly follow the trail.

The other possibly nasty creek crossing is Dusy Creek on the climb up to Dusy Basin. Once you manage to get over that, you may want to camp at the string of lakes in lower Dusy Basin. Most people camp at the lake higher up that’s near the Bishop Pass Trail.

If we get a snowy spring, you might want to come up with an alternate trip as a backup unless you like hiking over snow and feel comfortable on nasty creek crossing. Also, as WD suggested, reading the PCT journals will be incredibly helpful.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com