UV filters

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: UV filters

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What a great idea to make a tripod from old tent poles (I have many of these)! Whenever available, I set my camera on a rock or log. It is amazing how advanced some of the new cell phone cameras are. In 2-18 I lost my camera and the cell phone took sufficient quality photos for simply documenting the trip. Not the greatest but better than nothing. I usually do not carry my cell phone but on that trip, I needed it when I got back to my car (I had stupidly forgotten to leave it in the car when I dropped it off). So yes, lots of options nowadays. Power is a problem with cell phones; on a long trip you need to recharge it.

Speaking of filters, I have experimented with "filtering" with my sunglasses. It produces some interesting photos distortions, likely due to the curved shape of sunglasses. And speaking of sunglasses, I discovered that if I shoot portrait shaped photos the touch screen is blank- I think it is due to polarization of the sunglasses. Often the scenery will look nice and sharp with sunglasses on, but photos are washed out. If I take off sunglasses, then the scene also looks washed out. Perhaps that is an example of the worth of photo filters in general. In general, it is hard for me to judge a scene with sunglasses on.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Daisy

Like you I am in a different weight league when it comes to my camera gear. I wanted very light yet high quality, and pondered the same camera as you but it did not fit my "hands feel" that well. I ended up with a Sony RX100-6 as figured at my age it was time to splurge before I croak!

With regards to tripod, I seldom use one but wanted something as a backup that gave me a bit more control especially in low light or slow speeds. Though shooting by leaning on a log, or rocks, etc. works I find that doing so with this little tripod is a lot better - for those non rushed shots anyhow. There is also a velcro thing that you can bind it to a tree branch with. Total weight sans velcro is just over 1.5 ounces...yes not much at all!
https://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod-L ... B000ANGNN0

Seeing as my camera has a tilting screen I can use a mini tripod even at ground level yet see what it is going to shoot. This in my opinion is about the only use I have for a tilting screen, which I did not want really until I discovered this great use for it. Your camera has a fixed screen I believe and no viewfinder, so two things that I find pretty essential now as I have the same hassle with those screens as I just see a blur if don't have reading glasses on. The diopter controlled viewfinder solves that issue too.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

for$20 I will get that little tripod and try it. Very little lost if I decide not to use it. Cannot beat 2 oz!

As for the tilt screen, I specifically did not want it because I am hell on cameras. I have broken or lost three cameras in about 12 years. I figured the tilt screen is just something else to break. I have no problem getting down on my belly to take photos. Interesting that one reason I like my camera is the "hand feel", a very individual thing; I guess it just fits me.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Daisy

I was fiddling with my camera plus little tripod and found it almost impossible to see the LCD screen lying on my belly if the camera was pointed upwards to some degree. Of course using the viewfinder was a total no go that close to the ground, so had to use the tilting "selfie screen" once again as had mentioned in prior post. Man, I thought I really did not want one of those things as have somewhat 'askance' views on selfie proliferation! However, for this one use that tilt screen is really worthwhile as the photo illustrates [Excuse quality as used my little Tablet's camera]:
Tripod.jpg
I guess you will have to find some sort of "above ground" place to utilize this little tripod, but fortunately the Sierras generally provide plenty of rocks, etc.
All in all though, for when I need the stability for a shot this tripod is super - though I do use the Timer as well, with a 3 second setting, so there is no shake residual from pressing the shutter button. Oh, and have to use my reading glasses also to see the screen.

Good luck! ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.