TR 7/19-7/24-South Lake to North Lake via the Ionian Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR 7/19-7/24-South Lake to North Lake via the Ionian Basin

Post by sekihiker »

I'm glad this got pushed back to the top. It allowed me to enjoy those great photos again.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, thanks for bumping this up. It is another trip report I failed to read because I was out a lot this summer on my own trips. I had hoped to get into Ionian Basin from my Blackcap Basin trip, but the weather was too uncertain. I have been there two times and still want to go back for more.

As for snow, Ionian Basin was a part of a 14-day trip I did the first year I moved to California, just after the big snow years of 1997-and 98. Going between Lk 11818 to Lake 11837, it was totally snow covered and I post-holed on the steep slope and my pack pinned me down so any movement stressed a knee. So, I let the pack slide down and extracted myself, and luckily the pack did not go into Lake 11837! I also started down the Enchanted Gorge on a day-hike at 9AM. The snow slope turned to ice and I had to self-arrest while sliding down. Once down, I could not get back up! So, I continued down Enchanted Gorge, stomach crawled a snow bridge across the creek at one point, got up to Lake 9787 at dark, slept in a bed of wild onions with a fire going, and returned to Chasm Lake by about noon the next day. Slept the entire afternoon and night! Went over Black Giant Pass next day. Then on down LeConte Canyon, up to Dusy, over to Barrett and out South Lake- sort of opposite of what you did. Also went in Lamark Col. Climbed a few peaks and did a lot of exploring, so nearly the reverse of the trip you did in 6 days, but much slower paced in 14 days. Instead of Evolution Valley, I went through Davis Lakes and on to Martha Lake. Then after climbing Goddard, went over Goddard Col and do not remember any difficult parts that would be anything like class 4, so I suspect you were off-route. I do recall traversing quite high.

On another trip, steep snowfields required some detours. I barely made it up from Martha Lake to Reinstein Pass due to snow. On this trip I did not take an ice axe or crampons. I think as nice as it is not to have to walk on the sharp rocks, snow makes travel more difficult. As well as a heavier pack because you really need to carry snow gear.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

That's quite a story, Daisy. I'll bet you would take a different route/approach these days, for many reasons!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not a different route at all. The main difference to now is that back then I had very old gear from the 70's- like a 4-pound sleeping bag, Kelty external frame pack with extension bar, all that food and gas etc, the pack was nearly very difficult to manage. Jettisoning the pack when post-holed was a choice between potential injury and a small chance the pack would fly into the lake. As for the Enchanted Gorge, it was in my original trip plan as an overnight side-trip. When I got to Chasm Lake, I did not think I had time to do the overnight. I always carry a cook pot on day-hikes, and have enough clothing to stay out the night. I was a bit short on food. Even drinking hot water keeps one warm. There was already a fire-ring where I stayed. I have spent many a night out on climbs so it really was not a big deal to me. The only regret was not bringing crampons, which I had but decided not needed for a short day-trip.

Interesting thing, is that I actually met two fellows at the confluence of Goddard and Enchanted Gorge. They had camped at Chasm Lake and I found their packet of maps on a rock. I left the maps thinking someone would come back to them. They were three days from Chasm Lake and one fellow had badly sprained an ankle. They shouted at me from across the river that they needed to look at my maps. This was in the days before GPS's were common. So, one fellow forded the river and studied my map. I did not give them my map because I needed it too! They said carrying full packs down Enchanted Gorge was very difficult. In the long run, I think my "day trip" was a better way to do it. I really think I could have done the entire loop in one day had I planned on doing it and started at dawn. I really did not feel unsafe, just the typical problems to solve as I was used to do in climbing. And I had lots of snow climbing experience. Would I do it again? Probably, yes.
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by OutdoorRandy »

@tomba
I don't recall what I used for the elevations when I wrote the trip report. It was online. I clicked an object and got the info. I just looked at Gaia GPS and see that the elevations are off a few feet.

When I first went to the Ionian Basin in the 1980's we just had 15" quads. We figured we could find a route and went for it.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

OutdoorRandy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:13 am When I first went to the Ionian Basin in the 1980's we just had 15" quads. We figured we could find a route and went for it.
First time I wandered through Ionian Basin, my friend Craig and I used the same map. The times I've been through, it looked way more complicated at the beginning than it turned out. Actually, the second time I went through, I don't remember using a map.
http://www.sierrahiker.com/Courtright-N ... index.html
http://www.sierrahiker.com/EnchantedGorge/index.html
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

A perfect itinerary and great photos. Congratulations.