TR: Wind River Range - St. Lawrence Basin TH Loop, Aug. 16-25, 2021

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Wind River Range - St. Lawrence Basin TH Loop, Aug. 16-25, 2021

Post by Harlen »

Arkheel, I got the football connection now; I happen to have football genes too, my dad was QB for the Ducks.... though I guess the "Tarheel" name can go with any sport. You sure have spent some time in the Winds; I see in the "related topics" below your current TR that you and WD dominate the Wind River trips, with robertseeburger an honorable mention. I have been pouring through your other trips there, and find them all impressive. How did you originally discover The Wind River Range? I'd like to hear that story.

Daisy, thanks for the fishing advice, now if I can only afford the out of state Lic?
Your "Coral mushroom" is most likely a Morel. I've linked something below-- the first 2 pictures are of Morels.

https://jacksonholemagazine.com/tetonsc ... mushrooms/

And Arkheel, thanks for this information about the wildlife in the reservation.
When we spoke with the horse packer on the way out, we asked him about why there was so much wildlife in the area, compared to other places that we've been in the Winds. He thinks that the Reservation gets a lot less hunting pressure than other parts of the Winds. I don't know if that's true, but there was more wildlife for sure.
I think we will try to make our next trip from there too. Was it costly to get a permit?

early summer trips 2009 040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Reservation does not maintain trails. The outfitter has to personally maintain the trails he uses for clients. There were several years before this new guy took over when there were no outfitters working at all. Wilson Creek Lakes and Sonnicant Lake are two base camps for the outfitter with large established campsites. But overall, there is little use on the reservation. More game is a result of that lack of humans overall, including less hunting. The black bears hang out where people hang out. They really like to raid camp food. Tribal members generally do not hunt bears- most consider bears sacred. They are allowed year-round subsistence hunting but generally do not get up near the Divide.

Your sightings also may have been due to time of year. The game is moving down in late August.

The Federal Fish and Wildlife manage the fishing and I think also the wildlife (as far as habitat goes, not (licenses or regulations). The Fish and Wildlife people planted the Yellowstone Cutthroat in many of the highest lakes to sustain the endangered species numbers. They do a lot of field work to check on the fish and wildlife populations. Wildlife is plentiful in all of the Wind Rivers, but I think they hide a lot more where there is more human use. There is a huge elk trail on the North Fork of Bull Lake Creek that has at may inches of elk droppings and loaded with tracks- very well used by the elk, and a big timbered flat just above Big Milky Lake that is loaded with bear poop- huge piles, likely grizzlies. Hardly anyone goes down there. In the last 10 years, the elk have been culled by grizzlies and wolves in addition to the wasting disease. Still a lot but less than 20 years ago. The South Fork of Bull Lake Creek, where you were, is also one of the main elk habitats. I am not surprised at all that you met the fisherman. Deadman Lake, downstream, is a hot fishing lake.

It is too bad you do not fish. Your reservation permit includes fishing, whether you fish or not. And they have a great deal for "seniors" - those over 60 years old. A season's Reservation license for me is about $70 whereas a Wyoming out of state season fishing license is about $130. Under 60 age is about the same.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Harlen, you only need a fishing permit on FS land. No backpack permits are even done so there are no permit costs. What I really like is the flexibility you have when permits are not needed. No going to FS offices, no reservation needed, and you can delay or change a starting date depending on weather reports. I spent nearly $100 last year on Sierra permits. Gas is cheaper the minute you leave California. FS campground are way cheaper and some free, and LOTS of dispersed camping. When all costs are added up, the fishing license is not my main cost. I generally either do trips mainly on the FS, and buy the Wyoming license, or only fish on the Reservation, which is essentially free with the general permit.

On the Reservation you need a "crossing permit" which is a permit for being on the land, whether you fish or not. You also need a Reservation permit just to drive on trailhead access roads on their land. Dickinson Park is a FS trailhead, but the road to get there is on the Reservation, so you have to have a permit even to go to Dickinson. And you need a permit any time your car is parked on Reservation land. I get the out-of-state "senior" annual permit, about $70. You can get a weekly permit, but it is not that much less. If under 60 yrs old, then, it is about the same as the Wyoming out of state fishing license. You just buy the Reservation permit at any of several local stores in Lander.

In addition to the wilderness, there is road-access to reservoir and river fishing on the Reservation.

I "learned" of the Wind Rivers from climbers I met in the Tetons in 1968, who were NOLS instructors. I worked for NOLS for about seven years, starting in 1969.